Innovative Marine Aquariums

Accidental Kalk overdose

DevilDuck

I accidentally added 2 tablespoons instead of 2 teaspoons of kalk to my 4 gallon ATO. Now my alk gone up from 8.5 to 10.9 dhk over the course of 2 days. PH rose from 8.0 to 8.3.

Should I leave it be and let things naturally setting back down?  

6 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

I accidentally added 2 tablespoons instead of 2 teaspoons of kalk to my 4 gallon ATO. Now my alk gone up from 8.5 to 10.9 dhk over the course of 3 days.

Should I leave it be and let things naturally setting back down?  

I vote 10-20% water change to bring it down just a bit. 

• Like 6

All of thee above...................

I had a tank crash when alk got to high when my cal ran out in my 2 part.......... do it slowly though.........

What size tank do you have ?

• Like 3

It happens - just don't overreact and it'll be fine. Don't try and get your alk down you where it was - mitten is spot on and I wouldn't go past 20%. Then maybe add 1tsp of kalk instead of 2 to the ATO and let it naturally come back down over a couple weeks. I did this a handful of times in my 20g when I had ATO mishaps and dumped several gallons instead of a few cups and always just let it go down naturally without issue.

The biggest thing is keeping it stable for the next month or two and then you are out of the woods. Even if you see some STN, don't do anything - just keep things stable and don't change anything. You know the cause so there is no reason to change things. Literally every acro in my tank in the last 4 years has had STN at some point because of an incident like this and every single one survived because I just let it be. Any time I've ever tried to frag one in the past to "save it", it died.

• Like 5