Coral Vue Hydros

Sick Mandarin

LJR

My mandarin has been sick for about a week and a half now, and I cannot wrap my head around why. I've had him for three years now, through several different tanks, and the tank he's currently in is otherwise running completely fine. 

He had stopped eating for about three days, and now, while he's eating his frozen, pellets, and pods again, he's still breathing heavily, and his fins have begun to waste away. He also has something on his left eye. Curious if something could be picking on him, I added a few peppermints and a small cleaner shrimp recently. Or, has he just gotten sick. 

IMG_20220112_145528496.jpg

IMG_20220112_145521642.jpg

IMG_20220112_144726402.jpg

14 hours ago, LJR said:

I've had him for three years now

Where did you get him?  What's his origin story?

14 hours ago, LJR said:

Curious if something could be picking on him, I added a few peppermints and a small cleaner shrimp recently.

👆Your gut answers for you.☝️  Catch those shrimps out of there – all of em – and don't hesitate.  

It's possible the fish is dying of old age, but that seems like a pure guess compared to the facts.

6 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Where did you get him?  What's his origin story?

👆Your gut answers for you.☝️  Catch those shrimps out of there – all of em – and don't hesitate.  

It's possible the fish is dying of old age, but that seems like a pure guess compared to the facts.

I got him from a fish store I don't frequent anymore. He was a good bit smaller than he is now, but he looked good so I grabbed him.

Thanks. I probably will, definitely the peppermints, my aiptasia can wait lol. In the mean time, gonna be feeding him Kanaplex/focus with his pellets.

5 hours ago, ererer said:

I don't have any suggestions unfortunately, but I'd suggest you also try posting your question on the humble.fish community forum. They tend to specialize in fish diseases.

I'll take a look there, thank you

12 minutes ago, LJR said:

Kanaplex/focus with his pellets

I don't think assuming he's infected with some kind of bacteria or whatever is going to be helpful, though I understand "wanting to do something" and feeling somewhat powerless to help.  

But you aren't powerless, and you already have a plan.

I would suggest strongly that you follow the REAL clues instead and focus ASAP on those shrimp.  If you have other tank facilities, maybe even move the Mandarin instead.  Use a container to catch/move him instead of a net if you go this route.

5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I don't think assuming he's infected with some kind of bacteria or whatever is going to be helpful, though I understand "wanting to do something" and feeling somewhat powerless to help.  

But you aren't powerless, and you already have a plan.

I would suggest strongly that you follow the REAL clues instead and focus ASAP on those shrimp.  If you have other tank facilities, maybe even move the Mandarin instead.  Use a container to catch/move him instead of a net if you go this route.

Update: my tailspot blenny now is also sick

I also didn't think it was bacterial, but now I do. Gonna start feeding the Kanaplex

IMG_20220113_175224091.jpg

I really can't make heads or tails of the pictures, but in addition to to some kind of bacterial infection, I'd also look to see if you think it's uronema (especially if the white patch turns pink). https://humble.fish/uronema/

Sounds like catching and treating as many as possible would be helpful - if you don't have a hospital tank, a 10G tank, a sponge filter, and a heater should run you like $50, and in a pinch even a 5G bucket with a pump and one of those 5W always on heaters would do the trick for a short term treatment.

1 hour ago, DaJMasta said:

I really can't make heads or tails of the pictures, but in addition to to some kind of bacterial infection, I'd also look to see if you think it's uronema (especially if the white patch turns pink). https://humble.fish/uronema/

Sounds like catching and treating as many as possible would be helpful - if you don't have a hospital tank, a 10G tank, a sponge filter, and a heater should run you like $50, and in a pinch even a 5G bucket with a pump and one of those 5W always on heaters would do the trick for a short term treatment.

That's a good point tbh. That being said, in my (unfortunately extensive) experience with Uronema, I'm not convinced. Regardless, hospital tank is most likely in the near future, though it will not be for the next couple of days.

I will say, Mandarin looks slightly better than he did yesterday, so that's a good sign.

Have you been able to at least focus any extra feedings to those shrimp in case one or more of them are picking on the fish out of hunger?

Can you post a full tank pic?

I still think it looks like shrimp are removing the fish's scales.

Bacteria issues lead to things like pop eye.....I still doubt the bacterial angle because there isn't nearly as much evidence.  Seems like guessing and ignoring the evidence.  🤷‍♂️

I guess if you don't mind the antibiotics in your reef (😬) then I'd suggest acting on both fronts.

The only things that come to mind are fin/tail rot, ich, or the peppermint shrimp are picking on them.  The worse part though is that if your shrimp are picking at them then, that can bring on immune system problems where their natural defenses can be broken down causing fungal or bacterial infections as well.  I hope things turn around for you.  Good luck!