SaltCritters.com

What Coral Would You Put Under These Lights?

reeftankdude

That light won’t sustain much for coral. You should read through the equipment forum on lighting and do some research on what works. There are economy options, but this wouldn’t be one of them. 

• Like 1

Not a great light... maybe some hardy mushrooms. I would not purchase, the par is terrible. That review hasn't had their tank long enough... coral can survive in sub optimal lighting for a long time. Growth will probably be ehh for most things. 

We can point you to affordable lighting... what are you looking to spend?

• Like 1

Even the red portion of the PAR graph is considered well into the low light category for corals.  They can probably keep some macroalgae going, and low light forms of some softies and maybe LPS, but especially since your tank is 4" deeper than the graph measures to, you will really only be able to sustain low light corals directly under the light, everything else is just color to look at or lighting for fish.

Look for some PAR recommendations for corals you are interested in keeping, then consider that 4 inches off the sandbed, the best you will get is 40 par, directly under the light, and that should give you an idea of how limited the light output of this unit is.  Shallower tanks may be able to use it better as PAR will increase as water depth decreases, but your tank is even deeper than these readings are for, so the actual PAR realized on the sandbed will be substantially lower.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, reeftankdude said:

marine chart.PNG

It's a terrible graphic, but I think what they are saying is that 12" under the light, you get around 50 PAR.

If you're lighting a small, shallow tank 50 PAR at the bottom wouldn't be so bad....everything being lit would get more PAR than 50.

But sounds like the OP's tank is 16" deep....so the lower third of the tank would be quite dim.   Depending on the OP's exact goals, maybe that would be OK – corals would be fine in the upper half of the tank.

It doesn't look like a bad light to me, but I'm thinking there must be better options for your tank than this.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

It's a terrible graphic, but I think what they are saying is that 12" under the light, you get around 50 PAR.

I think that is correct but I also interpret the graph as that being only in the center of the tank.  It looks like the Par decreases to 10 at the edges of 18" coverage area.   

• Like 1

And shown on the graph PAR readings likely are in the air... Even Nicrew Saltwater LED has higher PAR and more evenly distributed. Montiporas grow well under it, in 8" deep tank, placed close to the top. Lifegard Reef LED is also strip light, has higher than Nicrew PAR.

Sending the lights I have back. Luckily Walmart has a great return policy. The two in the images is what I am considering. Which of the two would you use for the size tank that I have? Thanks all

buy 6.PNG

reef.PNG

On 1/15/2022 at 12:29 PM, reeftankdude said:

Sending the lights I have back. Luckily Walmart has a great return policy. The two in the images is what I am considering. Which of the two would you use for the size tank that I have? Thanks all

buy 6.PNG

reef.PNG

Second square shaped one as it has a better spread. You may want a second one in the future but you can get by with one. Put low light corals on the edges of the spread. 

• Like 2

I have had amazing luck with Beamwork  12" EA 30 15x - 700 lumen 12x 10000K, 3x Actinic. $25. Got it on eBay a few years ago. Growing LPS and SPS great but zoas and mushrooms don't do well for some reason. 

• Like 1

In the end, you'll be as cheap just saving for a prime or similar. The heart ache that goes into trying to get coral to grow, moving lights down and turning them up, moving coral up.. having to be super selective on what coral to buy... and cheap LEDs randomly burning out, or just failing to work after X months. 

I did all that.. now have 3 primes, will move to hydras after my primes.. 

• Like 3