Top Shelf Aquatics

Ozonated topoff water

1st reef

You could add a circulation pump to your top off reservoir if you wish to aerate the water more.  However, the wavemaker in your display should adequately aerate the water in your display, so most people don't bother.

Ozone (O3) doesn't actually have the same chemical effects as your more standard O2, and the times it's used in a reef aquarium are generally for water clarity because it reacts with some of the organic compounds that yellow the water.  I don't know if it will increase oxygen content usable for respiration in the tank at all, and unless your top off is running frequently or in high volumes, I don't think it will provide any measurable benefit to water clarity.

What's more, you have to be more careful with your selection of plastics when working with ozone, as it is mildly corrosive to certain kinds that we use with our tanks, so you may even require a different reservoir/tubing/pump for such a thing to work in the long term.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, 1st reef said:

Would it benefit my tank if I ozonate my top off water? 

Sometimes folks find that mold grows due to humidity in the ATO container – O3 might help with that.

But....

O3 is dangerous to you.  Unlike dosing a tank with a consistent volume, you'll be dosing an ever-changing volume of water in your ATO, sometimes down to zero...asking for trouble sooner or later IMO.

Do you have an unused ozonator "itching a hole in your pocket" or something? 😉 

Any idea of what they mean by this thing producing "not medical grade ozone"?    I'm not an ozone expert, but I think ozone is ozone....O₃, right?  I'm not sure what they mean with the "medical grade" designation.