Coral Vue Hydros

Cave Dwelling Nano Fish

Nixperience

I’m looking to create a list of small cave dwelling nano fish. I know Royal Grammas and basslets like caves, but what other small fish might people suggest?

Most considerations tend to be for upper, middle, and bottom dwelling fish, and perching fish, but I rarely see suggestions for the cave dwellers. Chime in please. 

Cave dweller, or one that likes to swim in and out of caves.   My talbot Damsel is a free swimmer bottom to middle of tank and will swim around all the rockwork, and coral, but be out in the open front for viewing alot.  Mostly cruising around the rock scape all day long.

Neon Dottybacks & other pseudochromis have a similar behavior but more aggressive.  May look into that species a bit if that is what you are looking for.  

My clown is a cave dweller, but for 6-8 months he was an above the rock dweller, so i'd guess not what you're looking for.  He moved into cave to defend his tank from new inhabitants and decided he likes caves and pretty much hovers in  and around one all day long.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jakesaw said:

Cave dweller, or one that likes to swim in and out of caves.   My talbot Damsel is a free swimmer bottom to middle of tank and will swim around all the rockwork, and coral, but be out in the open front for viewing alot.  Mostly cruising around the rock scape all day long.

Neon Dottybacks & other pseudochromis have a similar behavior but more aggressive.  May look into that species a bit if that is what you are looking for.  

Thanks. I’m looking for peaceful fish. I think my main fish will be a clownfish, Royal gramma, neon goby, Tailspot blenny. Looking for something that might stay in the caves most of the time and pop out every now and then. I want something that will get along with everyone. Wondering if a Yasha/pistol combo will stick to their area or will they keep digging up the tank all over the place?

AllAboutDatWrasse
15 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Thanks. I’m looking for peaceful fish. I think my main fish will be a clownfish, Royal gramma, neon goby, Tailspot blenny. Looking for something that might stay in the caves most of the time and pop out every now and then. I want something that will get along with everyone. Wondering if a Yasha/pistol combo will stick to their area or will they keep digging up the tank all over the place?

My yasha pretty much stays in the same area (under a rock with multiple openings). 

In my experience, my possum wrasses have been much more out in the open. If you’re wanting a wrasse that’s peaceful, and fairly cryptic, I’d look in to a pink streak wrasse. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, AllAboutDatWrasse said:

My yasha pretty much stays in the same area (under a rock with multiple openings). 

In my experience, my possum wrasses have been much more out in the open. If you’re wanting a wrasse that’s peaceful, and fairly cryptic, I’d look in to a pink streak wrasse. 

Good call on that. If I ever see a pink streaked wrasse, that could be a good one. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

How about a simple YWG?

I forgot about them because I was looking at yasha for my pico, but now that I’m upgrading. Hmm. How are they compared to yasha gobies?

Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

I forgot about them because I was looking at yasha for my pico, but now that I’m upgrading. Hmm. How are they compared to yasha gobies?

No idea about yasha gobies sorry.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

No idea about yasha gobies sorry.

The size is a big difference.. The YWG will be over 3 inches. The Yasha is maybe 2 inches.  These are both more bottom fish that pair up with a pistol shrimp.

Your tail spot blenny should pop in and out of the caves

• Like 2