inTank Media Baskets

Mandarin Dragonet always hiding now

Aigis

So recently I had bought a Mandarin Dragonet. Probably about two weeks ago I’d say. When I got it, it didn’t really move around much the first day as expected, but then it started getting more comfortable and was swimming around the whole tank constantly grazing for pods. Kept doing this up until a few days ago, where all it wants to do now is hide. I found it hiding once, but haven’t seen it during the day since. I have been able to spot it at night though. The only fish I have added after the dragonet would be 2 clowns, one of which is at least a year old and the other one still very young. Could these guys be the problem? Or could it be something else? 

734DADD1-5911-48D7-A369-C4A2A8E5F94E.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Aigis said:

So recently I had bought a Mandarin Dragonet. Probably about two weeks ago I’d say. When I got it, it didn’t really move around much the first day as expected, but then it started getting more comfortable and was swimming around the whole tank constantly grazing for pods. Kept doing this up until a few days ago, where all it wants to do now is hide. I found it hiding once, but haven’t seen it during the day since. I have been able to spot it at night though. The only fish I have added after the dragonet would be 2 clowns, one of which is at least a year old and the other one still very young. Could these guys be the problem? Or could it be something else? 

734DADD1-5911-48D7-A369-C4A2A8E5F94E.jpeg

Clowns can be very aggressive fish and certain types are worse than others. If the Mandy was fine before them I’d say you have the answer. 

• Like 1

They are pretty easily startled, but honestly they seem to be fairly resistant to bullying - mine never seem to react much to it.  I saw a flame angel push its side into one of my mandarins to show its dominance and it just sat there, then resumed eating pods.  If you haven't spent a bit in front of the tank, it could be worth just waiting a few mins and see if it comes out on its own after being startled behind the rocks, or if it really is hiding.

It's a little difficult to tell from the pic, but it could be looking thin as well, and low energy is a sign of needing more food for a lot of fish.  Depending on the size and age of your tank, two weeks is plenty of time to deplete a food source for them, so they could simply be hungry.  If this is the case, while there are ways to train them to eat frozen foods, it's unlikely a thin one will last long enough to learn, and it's probably better to rehome it to someone with a big tank, rethink the nutrition plan, and then perhaps try again.

• Like 3

How old is the tank? Is it eating prepared foods?

It may be skinny by the photo. The rock looks white without much life. 

Even if a fish is pecking at the rock, doesn't mean it is eating. They will do this behavior in sterile QT tanks too where there are no pods. My guess is they see a speck of something and will peck to see what it is but it exist their gills if its debris/not a pod. 

I agree if it is not being bullied, it could be starving, These fish require special care in most tanks. 

• Like 4