Top Shelf Aquatics

Is it dead do you think?

Joshb

1 hour ago, DevilDuck said:

It's hard to kill xenia, leave it and it may bounce back. Do you know what happened to it?

No experience with Xenias, but this is my guesstimate. 

I had a GSP that is also hard to kill.  Had been mostly retracted for months while I figured out I needed nutrients in water.  It's polyps are out every day now.  Most of the day.  I think your Xenia will do the same.  

• Like 1

I'd say it still looks more deflated more than damaged - if it was full on dying, you'd probably see rips or stringy tissue.

It should be somewhat hard to do, though, so do you know what happened?  If it's gonna be happy and healthy again, you're likely going to have to start undoing whatever has happened.

Did something that shouldn't get added to the tank?  Big salinity swing?  Lose heat or powerhead?

filefishfinatic

idk what hapened to my xenia its been really shriveled and closed for a week. no nipping. it might be nutrient or palytoxin from the zoa that got eaten. i put some carbon in my filter. my pavona is doing well though. mabye i need to dose agian 

Hard to say wqithout any parameters, but my guess is your nutrients are low.   I had xenia when I first started my tank and it died off.  It literally melted and didn't look like yours... yours just looks a little unhappy.  I would let it be and work on seeing if you can test nitrate and phosphate along with your alkalinity.

46 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

Hard to say wqithout any parameters, but my guess is your nutrients are low.   I had xenia when I first started my tank and it died off.  It literally melted and didn't look like yours... yours just looks a little unhappy.  I would let it be and work on seeing if you can test nitrate and phosphate along with your alkalinity.

• Thanks 1

How long has it been in the tank and what kind of flow does it have?

My first coral was a small Xenia frag and was shrunk up for the first several days before it started taking off. I've also found if there is too much flow it gets limp like in your pics or wont pulse. 

Also I agree with the other comments about liking dirtier water. I notice if I get lazy with water changes my Xenia seems to produce more growth. 

less than bread

When I first introduced a waving hand coral (Anthelia), sort of similar to pulsing Xenia, it looked like that for about a week. I moved it to a lower light area more towards the side of the tank and since then it has really taken off.

• Like 1