SaltCritters.com

New 12" Nano-cube

xeon

I built a tank and my daughter happened to want a tank of her own... so I decided to give it to her as opposed to placing it on or near my desk. According to her it was her greatest gift... and we can both share in the fun.

Here is the tank at birthday time. June-04

mini1.jpg

mini2.jpg

Here is her lighting - 2 x 32W PCs (03 and 10K)

light.jpg

Here is her stand I built - it has a shelf inside: (And my wife said it would take me 6 months like other projects.. LOL - try two days Sweetie)

Unfinished:

standu.jpg

and Finished: (wife and daughter picked out dark stain... I would have gone lighter... oh well they are happy)

standf.jpg

Here it is in her room with water, rocks, sand... the works.

nano.jpg

nano1.jpg

We are still kicking around what she wants to do. Seahorses have been mentioned, but we will see. I had some rocks in my sump all ready to toss in, alas she wanted to do her own rock design.... so she and I worked with some base rocks to come up with something she liked. It's kind of a mini-lagoon with a an archway in the back. Tough to see in the pics.

It will take a while for the rocks to get bio'd up, but I threw in some good sand and snuck in two loaded rocks -n- rubble.... I might throw a cocktail shrimp in for a little ammonia.

The nano fun begins... I am hoping to build a junior remora when I get some time.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

that is some great craftsmanship... the stand looks flawless in the pics... that's some great work with the tank too...

In my opinion the only thing i would change is the 3 outside peices of the sump... clear, not black, so you can check out how the filter is running, waterlevel, and how dirty stuff is (fuge if ever there is to be one)... you could use solid clear side panels on the next one, that would make for less cutting, sanding, gluing, and cost... just a thought, the tank is absolutly magnificant!!!

do you have any pumps in it yet? (brand and model plz)

did you do any trick plumbing? or are you planning to?

What kind of filtration are you going to run?

Looks great!!! keep posting updates...

The specs of the tank:

12" nano cube: ~7 gallons

Rear sump/fuge/return pump chamber: ~4 gallons

Lighting: 2 x 32W PC's - 10K and 03

Return pump: MJ-606 on full tilt

Rock: enough... i didn't weigh it ;)

I run all of my tanks with natural filtration and will do the same with this one. The rock in the tank will be "livened" up at some point and there is rubble and macros in the sump/fuge in the rear. The return pump plumbing is pretty simple, a short piece of tubing into 1/2" CPVC up, over and down into the tank. I may put a t fitting in to have a dual return. I may run a little carbon from time to time... but will see how things go. As I also said I may build and add a skimmer... although I think I could get by without one.

That is a great little gift you have there. Some of the most memerable gifts that I have ever gotten were things that my father built me. I am sure she will have alot of fun with it. One thing to consider that I am sure you may have already, is a fan just to keep things cool. Wow, I just wish my father shared in my hobbie of fish tanks with me. She sure does have a cool Dad.

i second what everyone else has already said..... that tank looks sweet.. very clean package. i'm sure you're daughter will love it for years to come. and your crafstman skills are on point, that stand looks awesome. keep us posted on the progress....

Archived