Coral Vue Hydros

I'm Back! New Tank RSR 250

Arce

Hey everyone, its been awhile. 

The last legit system I had up and running was my 29g SPS tank. Link Here and pic below. Ever since it crashed due to dinos I had a simple 20g up and running to keep my fish alive. After the wife and I bought our house, got married and then had our first child this 20g tank was highly neglected and I basically ghosted the hobby as a whole. I didn't do a water change for over 2-3 years to be honest, It was a mess with algae and nasties but I couldn't bare to sell or give away my ocellaris clown whos now turning 8 years old.

With life calming down I was given permission by the wife to get a new tank. I bought a RSR 250 and all of the equipment over the Thanksgiving/Black Friday sales. My BRS order for equipment and rock will be here by Friday, but I don't have an ETA for the tank yet. I'm actually a bit nervous about the drop ship aspect for the tank and any damages.

My main goal of this tank is to do 100% captive bred fish (aside from my current fish) and aquaculture/captive grown corals. I think the only exception to that may be frags from locals that may have come from fresh pieces, but I really want to minimize that. I already know ill get back into SPS, its inevitable, but I plan to have a more tamed approach and aim for growing out maybe 10-15 different select SPS. 

For fish I'm still undecided, they will obviously come from Biota/ORA. As of now the fish id like are below but I'm unsure which ill narrow it down to.

• Oc. Clown (Old)
  • Springer Damsel (Old)
  • Royal Gramma
  • Banggai Cardinal
  • Yellow Assessor
  • Orchid Dottyback or Indigo Dottyback
  • Court Jester Goby
  • Chalk Bass
  • Another "premium" clown
  • Blue Mandarin
  • Flameback angel (probably a no if I go SPS)

I'm excited to finally be back in the hobby and even more to have a large tank. This will be the largest tank I've set up to date so it'll be a bit different than the nano world I was in years ago. The hiatus was actually a good thing for me as I feel like I'm learning about the hobby all over again. Even with only a couple years of being away, it feels like so many things have changed and I get to learn it all over again.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

Well… its a year later so i guess i should give an update.

Unfortunately Ive been having issues with my tank that i never experienced in my 29g.

I got my reefer 250 shortly after my original post and it was wet January 2022. Cycle went fine, fish transferred fine. All in all it wasn't a bad start.

Over a couple months i added a few more fish. My current stock is…

Occ. Clown (original tank)

Springer Damsel (original tank)

ORA chalk bass

Tank Bred Banggaii Cardinal

Biota Royal Gramma

Striped Blenny (cant remember if its ORA or Biota)

Biota Court Jester Goby

Early 2022 i got antsy and got 3 ORA SPS frags which did great for a few months. I didn't want to go crazy and add a bunch knowing my tank was still in its infancy. I had great growth during that time and color was ok. Then my nutrients tanked since i started dry rock so i began to dose nitrates and phosphates slowly. All of a sudden everything STNed. Once they all died off i just did a large dose of nitrate and phosphate so the dry rock would finally absorb the phosphate and eventually balance off.

A couple months later after getting some decent/stable testing i got one sps frag to test the waters. It STNed after a week despite stable tests. After that i kept trying another frag waiting a couple weeks in between each STN event. Im up to my 4th or 5th test frag.

The frags do great for approx 1-1.5 weeks, good color and PE. Then the tips start to show filaments/stn, the tissue thins out and it follows into the branch leading to full RTN.

Frustrated i decided to do an ICP test, aside from a slightly elevated phosphate 0.08, and some Tin it wasn't horrible. Ruled out chlorine/chloramines and continued to get nutrients more stable than they were and closer to “ideal” parameters.

I got a healthy aquacultured pink millie from a different lfs a week ago today and so far its doing ok but I'm starting to see stn on the tips following the same pattern as the others. Fingers crossed it doesn't continue.

Either way, I'm in it for the long game so ill continue to research and wait out whatever is going on in my tank be it nutrient imbalance or a bacterial issue.

All i can think about is getting back to the height of my 29g with thriving, colorful SPS.

• Sad 1
53 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Maybe a combination of too little N03/ P04 and too little/ much PAR?

Could be, i dont have a par meter but i wouldn't think I'm hitting crazy high par. I would expect them to bleach if par was too high and i would assume i have enough light/par using my nanobox fixture with 4 t5 and the leds but cant confirm without the meter.