Coral Vue Hydros

can a chocolate chip sea star breed with other snails?

Blenard the Blenny

Blenard the Blenny

Good morning everyone. This is quite a ridiculous question, but can a chocolate chip sea star breed with other snails?

The reason i ask is this morning when I turned the lights off, i thought i spotted a rogue piece of corraline algae. After making coffee i came back to find it had moved, by itself, onto the glass, and looks like a star.

It looks exactly like a baby chocolate chip, the thing is i only have 1 of those, and then 3 turbo snails, 2 cowries, and a handful of bristleworms

I'm trying to get some decent pictures but it's not easy, however I will post in a follow up.

You mean with other starfish?

It definitely can't breed with molluscs, but starfish can often regenerate a significant portion of their body (sometimes the body entirely from just a leg), so you may be seeing regeneration after an injury as asexual reproduction.  There's also a chance it's an asterina star that was a hitchhiker.

• Like 1
Blenard the Blenny

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it's disappeared for the time being, and the pictures I have couldn't be more useless.

Doing a quick search I can see it may be an asterina star, but I haven't added anything to the tank in over a year, in fact in the past year I think I've removed 2 dead Nassarius Snails, so i'm wondering when and from where it hitchhiked lol.