Cultivated Reef

Baby Florida Ricordea?

RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

The other day this little guy appeared. Maybe a baby Florida ricordea mushroom? I have 2 green Florida Ricordea's and 1 orange, which have been in my tank for a few months, but this new one popped up about 10" away from the other ricordeas. It's about 3mm tall and 6mm wide. Yesterday I glued it to a small piece of frag rock 🙂

IMG_7103.jpeg

• Like 2
RaymondNoodles
On 11/23/2021 at 9:33 PM, Instant_taco said:

Looks like a baby yuma. From what I've learned is that sometimes babies ricordeas and yuma will be a different color until they grow out and get their true color from the mother.

IMG_20211105_212435975.jpg

IMG_20211105_205116773_HDR.jpg

Is the small green one the baby of the purple with peach tips? Will it turn purple with peach tips? I noticed there’s an even smaller one but it’s got the same colors as the big one 🤔 

• Like 1
RaymondNoodles
On 11/24/2021 at 9:46 AM, Murphych said:

I have Florida ric just like that. Crap picture under white lightlivestock_25.jpg.6e1becf2b901081022a4209a35671650.jpg

Yes yours looks similar. For the life of me I can’t get a focused picture. I’ve tried with pump off and adjusted the lights numerous ways but this iPhone XS camera sucks. Like all my flatworms? 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

A248CD59-1030-4B7E-925C-EF649C206BE6.jpeg

F8DDCFFA-AB05-4A9B-975A-BDB2A0F84695.jpeg

8 hours ago, RaymondNoodles said:

Is the small green one the baby of the purple with peach tips? Will it turn purple with peach tips? I noticed there’s an even smaller one but it’s got the same colors as the big one 🤔 

Yeah it will turn into the mother eventually. Mushroom coral multiply in 3 ways. They split in half from the mouth, they grow a new mouth and then split it off and last the drop a piece of their foot and that becomes a baby mushroom coral. In this case my yuma dropped a piece of it's foot and that became a new coral. It's bright green and a little transparent it should eventually grow and get it's colors

• Thanks 1
RaymondNoodles
12 minutes ago, Instant_taco said:

Yeah it will turn into the mother eventually. Mushroom coral multiply in 3 ways. They split in half from the mouth, they grow a new mouth and then split it off and last the drop a piece of their foot and that becomes a baby mushroom coral. In this case my yuma dropped a piece of it's foot and that became a new coral. It's bright green and a little transparent it should eventually grow and get it's colors

Very cool. So I’m guessing my established ric up above dropped part of its foot and it landed at the bottom. A couple of my ric’s have grown new mouths and expanded that way but this way is a first for me. 

• Like 1