SaltCritters.com

Clown died... ICH.. Prevention?

SeanTay00

Hey guys just lost a two week battle against ICH last night and i've been pretty disappointed all day. Being a newbie, i'm concerned about prevention of ICH. My tank looks real lonely with no fish in it, and I would like to get something in there again but I don't want it to meet the same fate. I've been told that ICH can last up to 30days with no host! Do I really need to leave my tank empty that long? Where did this ICH most likely come from? Bought the clown from PetCo, should I shop else where for fish? I've considered picking up a cheap damsel as a "guinne pig", and I'm also investing in a hospital tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tank Info: 20G, 15-20lbs LR, 20lbs live sand, all levels perfect, zoo's/shrooms/xenia/GSP all healthy

How long did you have the fish?

Definately, do not get your fish at Petco. You have about a 25% chance of a fish from there staying healthy. They may be cheaper but you and the fish end up suffering the consequences.

If you get a damsel be choosy about which type you get. Some of them can be extremely difficult to get back out and in a smaller tank environment they can be extremely aggressive towards other fish.

Had the fish for about 3 weeks. The second week showed slight signs of ICH, did a big water change and the ich "disappeared'. It reappeared this week and I tried to feed the fish garlic to build his immune but it was to late. Didn't get a chance to FW dip.

What kind of damsel would you recommend? I really just want something cheap to look at. "I hate guests coming over and saying, nice tank, why aren't there any fish in there?"

That's too bad PetCo has poor quality fish. It worries me though to spend and additional 10-15$ more on a clown from my other LFS if it my suffer the same fate because of my tank,

Did you use or are you planing to use any Ich medication? I would dose the tank with Kick Ich, since your tank is wiped out. You dont have any coral in there do you? I had a similar problem once and I waited about 2 weeks after all the fish were dead. I dosed the tank a coouple of days and then replaced a clown in there. The clown has been in there now for about 4 months with no problems. Never had another Ich explosion either. They say that you should wait at least 6 weeks beore you place another fish in there but I guess it's up to you. If you get a Damsel he might turn into a shark after a while, they become very aggressive towards others.

I do have some corals. Is kick ich reef safe. I've heard some of the stuff says it's reef safe but really isn't. It wouldn't be to hard for me to remove the corals for a couple days. How long did you have to treat your tank with the Kick Ich?

The only reason I used Kick Ich was because a close friend of mine used it before in his tank. If it's not safe for his tank then it wont be safe for mine. He has a beautiful 100Gallon tank full from wall to wall of nothing but coral's. He told me that kick ich was reef safe so I used it. Never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

You dont have to wait 30 days before adding fish , Most importance thing is to find out what cause your fishes to get ick then fix the problem.when fishes stress it got ick even tho you treat your tank before that.Ick will not attack healthy fish because it produce alot of slim that ick fall off .

Archived