ReefCleaners.org

Reef-Safe Fish List

MKramer

After spending a lot fo time trying to figure out what fish we could put in our next, larger reef aquarium, I finally decided to jsut compile a list of all the fish I could find that were reef-safe.  Originally, it was for my own reference, but once it was done, I thought it would be useful to others as well.

Anyway, if you guys could take a look at it, I'd appreciate any comments.  Please, tell me if you tihnk I missed a particulr fish, list one that's not safe, or any other general comments.

It's still a work in progress, and I'll be adding more fish as I go, as well as descriptions under each family heading.

http://ubermensch.org/reef/safefish

The location of the page will change as I complete it, too, just in case anyone tries to bookmark or link to it.

Matthew

Actually, while I'm at it, does anyone know of any sources for pictures of fish, that are free to reuse?  I'd like to add image links to my list wherever possible.

Thanks,

Matthew

snafuforyou1

Looks like a very informative list-

my suggestion would be to add a column for min gal tank for each fish

also

on the 10 gal set-up maybe a price list to give an idea what equip -set up etc. costs are and/or  total cost

I think you can get pictures of fish from

http://www.ffexpress.com/setfish.htm

(Edited by snafuforyou1 at 5:38 pm on June 11, 2002)

I would love to add the minimum tank size, but I don't have that information for the majority of those fish, and those values are so hotly debated.  I mean, you'd be hard pressed to find any retailer or factbook approve any fish for a 10g, yet we routinely put two, or even three, in tanks that size.  Unless I can find a good source for that data, I want to stick to more quantitative stuff.

However, I'd like to put general rules of thumb in each family's description.  For example, comments to the effect of "Blennies require larger areas to accomodate their need to dart about the aquarium" and "Clownfish do not require a large amount of space, as they rarely travel more than a foot form their home in the wild, but will actively guard their territory against other tankmates, required more space for the tankmates."

Thanks for the picture link, I'll check that out.

BustytheSnowMaam

Try www.wetwebmedia.com, click on "wet web photos" (I think that's what the link says).  Lots of pics.

Tasha

Whoa... Nice job MKramer! Thanks for sharing that with the community!

While I do not have any comments on the contents of the list, I did want to say that it looks nice. :)

As for images, I usually do a Google Image search for what I want a picture of, and what's nice is, Google posts the picture at the top of the screen, and the normal webpage at the bottom. Makes it really easy to check for copyrights on the picture. :)

If you are interested.... http://www.google.com/imghp Hope this helps. Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks for all the replies on picture sources.  Unfortunately I want to use the images royalty free, without ticking off any copyright-holders.  It's a lot to ask, but I thought it was work checking into.

Wetwebmedia.com has some content that I can use, but there are lot of pictures I still need.  I probably have to go the route of begging other hobbyists for pictures of their own fish or diving trips.

printerdown01

AWESOME!! please let us know when this is in its final stage and the address is permanent! I would love to put a link to this from my site!! I too would love a site that could give a minimum gallon, but the reality is that it would be so hotly debated that it wouldn't be worth your trouble... I think you played it smart by giving fish-size... If the fish gets 5" it obviously won't go in a 10 gal tank! Very cool... the "two spot, signal, twin spot goby" is also VERY commonly reffered to as a 4x4 -wouldn't normally recommend that you try to accomodate every common name, but this one is used by A LOT of people (I call 'em twin-spots ;) ).

BustytheSnowMaam

Maybe you could give ideas about what would work together for what size tank, like some "ideal setups", with fish that go together.  For example, in the June FAMA, there is an article about stocking a 55 gallon tank.  Some people would put a bunch of "beginner fish" in there, like damsels and clowns.  However, a far better setup would be to get a wrasse or goby for the sand, a blenny in the rocks, a psuedochromis or royal gramma in the caves, a dwarf angel in the rocks, perhaps some tomato/percula clowns for mid-water, and some chromis would be towards the top.  I don't remember the article very well and I'm writing this from the top of my head, but you get the picture.  

Tasha

What exactly does Medium difficulty mean? I was just wondering because to put a Lemonpeel and a Bicolor Blenny in the same category seems a bit misleading to me. First, the blenny is much hardier and will eat easier, the lemonpeel is pretty tough to keep in a tank without a large supply and variety of macroaglae and even then there is no garantee. I was just browsing it though and I really have no place to make any suggestions because you have obviously put a lot of time into making that list. I don't know about a lot of the fish on there also, so you definately have a lot of liberty in categorizing them, just an observation though. Good job,

gaber

Thanks for the comments, gaber.  Please, do make comments.  I'm not that experienced a reefer, and made this list for my own benifit.  By no means should it be considered correct just ebcause I took the time to make it.

As you point out, the lemonpeel is listed as Medium difficulty, because of its dietary needs (ie, the variety of macroalgae).  The bicolor was a borderline case for me, but I have materials that say it is herbivore-only, needing a good supply of microalgae.  Thus, either a large space is required for this deceptively small fish, or special care need be taken in a selection of food supplements.

Like I said, it was a tough call on the blenny, and I think it could be argued either way.  I prefered to err on the side of safety and give it the M rating.  I've seen quite a few people stick them in small tanks and assume their puny algae supply was enough for it.

Thanks again for the comments,

Matthew

If you are looking for pictures then post something on RC in the picture forum.  Those folks take more pictures than you can shake a stick at.  I am sure some of them would be willing to help.

Archived