Coral Vue Hydros

IM Nuvo 10 stocking - I’m new to reefing

Nova Scotian

My little tank is pretty much cycled. I’m still going to wait a bit to make sure. I still don’t know what I want to put in it, fish wise. I was thinking of a yellow clown goby and a shrimp goby of some variety, and I know that this tank will provide plenty of room for them. Before I commit I am wondering what your thoughts are on adding a clownfish or royal gramma instead of the YCB. In theory I think the larger fish won’t have enough swimming space. But I know many people do this, so there is probably a good reason for it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Melissa

Hi welcome to NR and reefing. I think you could keep 2 fish in this tank. I would add the shrimp goby first and let it get comfortable in the new tank before adding the second fish. As always you never know how they will get along so add the more aggressive fish last. Make sure you use the lid because all fish can jump right out of the tank is scared.

• Like 1
growsomething

Clownfish do well in small tanks in relation to their size because of their habit in nature of defending one small area they use as a host.

My nuvo 10 has a clown and a tsb.  It is plenty of room for them both. Good luck.

• Like 2

Welcome NS

Just my 2 cents... many other options other than clown fish.. possum wrasse will do well in a 10 gallon , shrimp gobies and pistol shrimp come in many different colors.One of my favorites is the barnacle blenny. Most fish are jumpers so a mesh lid is important. I hauled my possum wrasse out of my back compartment often, one day he was not so lucky.

• Like 1
filefishfinatic

i feel like 10 gallons is kinda small for clowns and royal gramma. ive seeen a RG the size of my hand. clowns get agressive too. honestly what id do is a pair of stoplight cardinals, a jester goby, and a shrimp goby or blenny 

Welcome! I recently took down my IM 10gallon and upgraded to the 20g. When i still had the 10 gallon I had a pair of clownfish and a coral banded shrimp with a small clean up crew and everything seemed happy. two fish should be ok if they are small fish. 

On 11/13/2021 at 6:03 AM, debbeach13 said:

Hi welcome to NR and reefing. I think you could keep 2 fish in this tank. I would add the shrimp goby first and let it get comfortable in the new tank before adding the second fish. 

Good advice,

Small fish first.  I made the mistake of letting a baby clown grow up in 9 months in a 10 gallon and I can't get another fish in there without dying within a week or two.  

The Clown has marked the entire tank as his territory and while he's not outwardly aggressive to most fish, his presence has caused anything I add to the tank stress which has led to 1 jumping out and 4 healthy fish dying in short order. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Good advice,

Small fish first.  I made the mistake of letting a baby clown grow up in 9 months in a 10 gallon and I can't get another fish in there without dying within a week or two.  

The Clown has marked the entire tank as his territory and while he's not outwardly aggressive to most fish, his presence has caused anything I add to the tank stress which has led to 1 jumping out and 4 healthy fish dying in short order. 

Been down that road myself.  Took an even more aggressive fish to combat the Clown.

filefishfinatic

i feel like clowns are too aggro for a 10 g honestly. occelaris, tomato, maroon are evil. clarkii are the most peaceful imo. they are just really boisterous. perect for fowlr tanks. i have one and he is one of my favorites. 

8 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

i feel like clowns are too aggro for a 10 g honestly. occelaris, tomato, maroon are evil. 

Got any info on the Mai Tai Clown 

I accidentally picked this one on a busy day @ LFS.  He was young and looked more orange than maroon, but has darkened up over time.  I was told it was peaceful / smaller hybrid when I purchased, but in subsequent conversations, it seemed that was opposite of true. 

• Wow 1

That's a great starter tank. IM makes great AIO's (I just got a IM 20g). In that tank, since it's a cube, for fish, I would only put 2 clowns max. They will claim that whole space and will be aggressive towards any other fish you put in there.

Thanks, guys. My closest lfs said that the royal gramma would need more space than I have. I‘m going to do the goby/shrimp combo first and then the clown later on. I put chaeto, pods and photo in the tank tonight. Now I’ll wait a while to make sure the water parameters are okay now that the light will be on.

• Like 1

You will not regret a goby/shrimp pair.  One of the coolest things you’ll see in a reef tank.  My favorite combo was a randalli goby and tiger pistol I had many years ago.  One note about the clown, it will bite your hand once it’s been in there a while… just a fair warning as I’m currently getting bit all the time with mine. 

• Like 2
filefishfinatic
18 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Got any info on the Mai Tai Clown 

I accidentally picked this one on a busy day @ LFS.  He was young and looked more orange than maroon, but has darkened up over time.  I was told it was peaceful / smaller hybrid when I purchased, but in subsequent conversations, it seemed that was opposite of true. 

idk are you keeping it with anything if its a hybrid it is probably bad. because the only peaceful types are skunk and clarkii and no one in their right mind would breed them together 

filefishfinatic
14 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Thanks, guys. My closest lfs said that the royal gramma would need more space than I have. I‘m going to do the goby/shrimp combo first and then the clown later on. I put chaeto, pods and photo in the tank tonight. Now I’ll wait a while to make sure the water parameters are okay now that the light will be on.

you should do 2 gobies and 2 shrimp in a mated pair and your tank will just be a subway system. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I wouldn't recommend clowns.  They are tiny and cute in the stores and then they get bigger and meaner.  Females will bully the males if the tank is small.  My female eventually killed her mate of 3 years. I gave her back tot he store and have been much happier.  Two little guys with tons of personality are tail spot blennies and green clown gobies.   Full size it 1-1.5 inches.  Tail spots will sit out on rock or hide behind an coral, but peak out at you.  They will even play peek-a-boo. The smallest is the yellow clown goby.  Another gentle fish is a pajama cardinal, it is a bit bigger but they don't swim around a lot.  Someone correct my if I'm wrong. Big apatite though. Some tiny inverts are blue or white porcelain crabs, sexy shrimp (in multiples).  Speaking from experience choose carefully and have fun. 

Specials – Tagged "Blenny"– Candy CoralsGreen Clown Goby (Gobiodon atrangulatus) - Corals Fish and Beyondimage.jpeg.713d413e79227051e2db7e0c56cec6d6.jpegPajama Cardinalfish (Sphaeramia Nematoptera) - Corals Fish and BeyondPorcelain Crab - White (Indian Ocean)Buy Sexy Shrimp (Asia Pacific) in Canada for as low as 14.95White porcelain anemone crabs: Learn how to care for them and buy online.

image.png