Pod Your Reef

Radial Filefish Tank Size

nanos_only

I've got a standard aqueon 15 gallon I've been slowly adding corals to, and I noticed biota has radial filefish in stock again. 

https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/collections/cultured-fish/products/radial-filef

I've got a nice xenia patch in my tank and my understanding is they usually just hover around xenia, but is 15 gallons pushing it too much? There's just a little two spot blenny and a couple small trimma gobies right now so plenty of room fish-wise, but i'd like to know how much space this particular species really needs relative to other small files like the pygmy who seem to swim around a good bit

Also if anyone can chime in to how these guys compare to matted/aiptasia eating and pygmy filefish I'd love to hear your thoughts and how much tank size you think is ideal!

They seem to claim it gets up to 3" long, which seems pretty big for a 15 gallon with other fish in it.  But it also sounds like they are pretty sedentary in lifestyle, so maybe that's fine.  They do explicitly state that one would be good in a nano reef....so I guess you'd have room to complain if you had a different experience.  I haven't kept one, so that's as good as I can do...🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...