Pod Your Reef

Lifegard 3.8g Reef

Poliwag

Hey Everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, and this past summer I finally decided to start my very own pico reef.

The tank is about 6 months old and I wanted to make a journal to keep track of my progress (good and bad).

Tank Specs

Display: Lifegard 3.8g Peninsula

Lighting: Kessil A80 with Spectral Controller (might switch to AI prime 16HD)

Return Pump: Mini-Jet 606 with RFJ nozzle

Heating: Pulaco 25w heater from Amazon

Filtration: 3D printed media basket

Filter Media: filter floss, carbon, and Seachem Matrix

Aquarium Lid: Saran wrap until I get an ATO

Doser: Kamoer x1 pro 2

Dosing: Tropic Marin All for Reef

Livestock

FISH

• Clown Fish

CLEAN UP CREW

• X2 Gold-ring Cowrie

• Hermit crab

• Anemone Crab

Corals

SOFTIES

• Yuma mushroom

• Zoas (utter chaos, armor of gods, sunny Ds, rainbow incinerator)

• GSP

LPS

• Green Candy Cane

• Torch (pink tips green)

• Hammer (purple tip and neon)

• Favias (dragon soul and a no-name)

• Red blasto

• Red goniopora

• Acan (red/purple and green/purple)

• Duncan

SPS

• Plating (green and starburst)

• Purple bonsai

• Montipora Digitata

• Birdsnest

thumbnail_IMG_2302.jpg

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a little update. Added a Japanese long tentacle toadstool today (picture below) and it’s already opened up.

Also started to dose some ATI nutrition nitrate and phosphate last week to keep my levels from bottoming out. 

4189A405-C793-4342-B516-E18083BD744D.thumb.jpeg.2eb13fa43a3c718331ecf179b13da667.jpeg

• Like 3
On 11/7/2021 at 2:45 PM, Poliwag said:

Hey Everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, and this past summer I finally decided to start my very own pico reef.

The tank is about 6 months old and I wanted to make a journal to keep track of my progress (good and bad).

Tank Specs

Display: Lifegard 3.8g Peninsula

Lighting: Kessil A80 with Spectral Controller (might switch to AI prime 16HD)

Return Pump: Mini-Jet 606 with RFJ nozzle

Heating: Pulaco 25w heater from Amazon

Filtration: 3D printed media basket

Filter Media: filter floss, carbon, and Seachem Matrix

Aquarium Lid: Saran wrap until I get an ATO

Doser: Kamoer x1 pro 2

Dosing: Tropic Marin All for Reef

Livestock

FISH

• Clown Fish

CLEAN UP CREW

• X2 Gold-ring Cowrie

• Hermit crab

• Anemone Crab

Corals

SOFTIES

• Yuma mushroom

• Zoas (utter chaos, armor of gods, sunny Ds, rainbow incinerator)

• GSP

LPS

• Green Candy Cane

• Torch (pink tips green)

• Hammer (purple tip and neon)

• Favias (dragon soul and a no-name)

• Red blasto

• Red goniopora

• Acan (red/purple and green/purple)

• Duncan

SPS

• Plating (green and starburst)

• Purple bonsai

• Montipora Digitata

• Birdsnest

thumbnail_IMG_2302.jpg

Looks good in there so far. 😊

• Thanks 1

Hi Poliwag, nice looking tank! If you’re not dosing a carbon source (eg vinegar, vodka, NOPOX) then I would be surprised if your PO4 and NO3 are bottoming out, especially since you have fish to feed. Have you been measuring your levels? If not then I can recommend the Hanna Phosphate ULR and Hanna Nitrate High Range checkers. Good luck!

Nice work!

Question for you as I messed around with this tank for a short bit recently but was struggling to get the flow and water levels where I wanted them with an upgraded Sicce pump + RFG and plugging that dang hole at the bottom.  Looks like you used the plug instead of the strainer, curious if you're running your minijet at max flow and what else you have in the overflow chamber there?  I'm always curious to see what/how folks with these smaller Lifegards have dealt with the bottom drain hole.

3 hours ago, sango said:

Hi Poliwag, nice looking tank! If you’re not dosing a carbon source (eg vinegar, vodka, NOPOX) then I would be surprised if your PO4 and NO3 are bottoming out, especially since you have fish to feed. Have you been measuring your levels? If not then I can recommend the Hanna Phosphate ULR and Hanna Nitrate High Range checkers. Good luck!

I use salifert to test for nitrate and phosphate and they’ve always tested at 0 for me.. no clue why. 

3 hours ago, skippylou said:

Nice work!

Question for you as I messed around with this tank for a short bit recently but was struggling to get the flow and water levels where I wanted them with an upgraded Sicce pump + RFG and plugging that dang hole at the bottom.  Looks like you used the plug instead of the strainer, curious if you're running your minijet at max flow and what else you have in the overflow chamber there?  I'm always curious to see what/how folks with these smaller Lifegards have dealt with the bottom drain hole.

Yeah I used the plug so that water passes through my filter floss 100%. My minijet is running at max with the flow restrictor removed as well. And I only have filter floss + a bag of seachem matrix on in my overflow chamber, sometimes a bag of carbon if I remember. 

D77DF33D-DD93-4EB8-AF10-E6B645CA302E.thumb.jpeg.fac3d5b6a3c26010613b127b94c16f08.jpeg

Interesting.  I had only floss in the intank media rack with the plug like you do and the pump was ~40 gph lower than yours is rated but it still was draining the pump chamber to probably halfway and raising the display to way closer than I wanted to the top :P.