Coral Vue Hydros

Over priced hammer

Xj reefing

Whilst looking through a websites hammers I stumbled across a hammer that looks pretty close to what I have already for $850 there were some others as well but those were still in the 500s. I only paid $55 for mine. How much do you guys think these hammers are worth. (Keep in mind o am in Australia and these prices are aud and we don’t need to pay for shipping over seas so corals are usually cheaper). The first 2 photos are my hammer and the 3rd and 4th is the website 

830C2CB7-AD68-45C2-B9AF-B45CA3AABFFE.jpeg

E972F510-E97C-4E58-ABEE-8A4799B47A9D.jpeg

129E8B70-7E86-4551-8B41-833A8A64712B.jpeg

46A931DA-BAB5-41F2-9EB4-769551A426EC.jpeg

A lot of places here in Cda were over charging on all euphyllia for the last 2 yrs.

A hammer that normally cost $40-$50 was suddenly $130

I stopped buying euphyllia because the prices got ridiculous.

• Like 3
On 11/6/2021 at 9:56 PM, Tamale said:

Looks like a store I wouldn’t buy from for sure. Seems like someone inflating the price of a coral because it looks cool, knowing someone will pay for it. 

That is the market.

I wouldn't pay that for any hammer, but if somebody else is willing to pay that price, who am I to argue. 

45 minutes ago, robn70 said:

I have one that looks the same and paid less then $20 for it last year..

Coral price have really increased since last year. It really sucks that they are now charging so much more on hammers and other corals just because they have the market to do so

3 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

Coral price have really increased since last year. It really sucks that they are now charging so much more on hammers and other corals just because they have the market to do so

You're in Australia yeah? Euphyllia prices in general have gone up here due to the QLD Fisheries imposing new and strict quotes on some wild collected species, Euphyllia included. These price increases will also affect acans and elegance corals. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, W1ll said:

You're in Australia yeah? Euphyllia prices in general have gone up here due to the QLD Fisheries imposing new and strict quotes on some wild collected species, Euphyllia included. These price increases will also affect acans and elegance corals. 

I was gonna mention this revised rules on collection.  I don't know what specific changes there are, but everyone was definitely rushing to cash in on what is expected to be a stricter collection rules/limits.  below are the two posts I came across on RB.  

https://reefbuilders.com/2021/06/17/big-changes-coming-to-australian-coral-exports/

https://reefbuilders.com/2021/11/03/revised-queensland-coral-exports-approved-until-2024/

maybe someone else who actually read into the rules might be able to chime in

I completely forgot about the change in rules. Thanks for reminding me. 

6 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I was gonna mention this revised rules on collection.  I don't know what specific changes there are, but everyone was definitely rushing to cash in on what is expected to be a stricter collection rules/limits.  below are the two posts I came across on RB.  

https://reefbuilders.com/2021/06/17/big-changes-coming-to-australian-coral-exports/

https://reefbuilders.com/2021/11/03/revised-queensland-coral-exports-approved-until-2024/

maybe someone else who actually read into the rules might be able to chime in

If I remember correctly I think they had to weigh each individual coral instead of just tub fills which of coarse leads to more hours of work so then more increased pricing.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

that place is always marketing their corals as "high end" or "best in country". you can find these phrases in every single FB post 🤷‍♂️ i dont know how different they are from all the other LFS i visit cuz i dont think they have an open store but still charging at least a 3X price

If it's a successful frag of a wall coral, could be a justification for elevated price.  They are slow growing and hard to frag. 

If it's a branching Hammer coral, would be a bit harder to justify asking those prices unless it was a restricted marketplace.  Think of the price of Yellow Tangs jumping when Hawaii changed their laws for exporting the fish.  

Talking to Local Reef store, what seems to be a big factor in coral pricing.  Rare or in demand color and how long it takes to grow out.  Supply and Demand at work