Cultivated Reef

Feeding dwarf pipefish frozen food?

Sean T

From what I've learned so far I'd recommend setting up a bring shrimp hatchery in the tank with them....several models, including the Rio, are available to facilitate this.  @Paul B has a nice DIY setup you can get ideas from.  (He's got a book that has this stuff in it too – The Avante Garde Marine Aquarist.)

3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

From what I've learned so far I'd recommend setting up a bring shrimp hatchery in the tank with them....several models, including the Rio, are available to facilitate this.  @Paul B has a nice DIY setup you can get ideas from.  (He's got a book that has this stuff in it too – The Avante Garde Marine Aquarist.)

Problem with that is I will have to gut load baby brine shrimp since they have basically no nutritional value.

I am not sure if this is relevant but I did keep a small pipefish, although it was  the blue and orange one. Once the pod population ran out it took very well to freeze dried cyclops.. I think the way it flowed through the water fooled it into thinking they were alive. I think with some training it could be done but if you have access to live pods that would benefit.

5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

No problem, but you might have to re-read up on using BBS.   (You're thinking of adult bring shrimp I think.)

I read you still have to gut load BBS for dwarf seahorses, and I assume that holds true for dwarf pipefish too.

3 hours ago, Sean T said:

I read you still have to gut load BBS for dwarf seahorses, and I assume that holds true for dwarf pipefish too.

I know you read this all the time, but it is not true.  Adult brine shrimp are no good but new born shrimp are full of nutrition because they have a yolk sack that they are slowly absorbing.  You can not gut load them because they don't eat at that stage.  The sooner you feed them after they are born, the more nutritious they are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paul B said:

I know you read this all the time, but it is not true.  Adult brine shrimp are no good but new born shrimp are full of nutrition because they have a yolk sack that they are slowly absorbing.  You can not gut load them because they don't eat at that stage.  The sooner you feed them after they are born, the more nutritious they are. 

Wait, I can feed dwarf seahorses freshly hatched baby brine shrimp without any consequences for the health of the dwarf seahorses?

5 hours ago, Paul B said:

Whoaaa didn't know you still came on here once and awhile 🙂

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Sean T said:

Wait, I can feed dwarf seahorses freshly hatched baby brine shrimp without any consequences for the health of the dwarf seahorses?

Yes.  

18 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Whoaaa didn't know you still came on here once and awhile

I got an E Mail that someone mentioned me.  I thought they wanted to give me a job as a male model. 😁

• Haha 3