Pod Your Reef

DOGHOUSE TANK

Palmettodeuce

Palmettodeuce

I’m hoping that by staring a journal of this tank , I’ll be able to get some help and encouragement for the forum, to make it through the rough times that are sure to come. I really want a nano reef sitting next to my couch. I’ve already navigated the first hurdle, my wife. We had made a deal in the spring of 2020, about me getting my dream tank. It involved her allowing me to place it in our family room. I sold the tanks I had in the sunroom and turned it over to her. Oh, except for a small 29 gallon planted tank that I moved into the kitchen. I kinda sneaked that one into there, since it had the grand baby’s fish in it. So my dream tank is a 180g fowlr, with a nice stand and canopy. It’s my first dive into the world of sumps, and marine fish. I’m running it with a UV sterilizer and a waterfall algae scrubber. Very low maintenance. I would like to introduce some corals after a year or two. Giving the tank time to mature and myself time to learn. I’ve been a member here for quite a while, never posting due to not having a reef tank, but reading and learning. 

Enough background information. I’m calling my fluvall evo 13.5 the “Doghouse tank”, because that’s where it put me for 2 solid days. Honestly, I’m not sure if I’m completely out yet, kinda feels like I’m on a probationary leash. I did an instant cycle with Dr. Tim and 2 black storm cloud clowns (their cuteness helped me get a paw out of the doghouse). I did a rock scape with “reef rock” similar to the Carib sea life rock but lighter. I plan to keep the hood and stock light, and pump. I have a mini uv sterilizer and some media racks from D-Flow coming. I have 3 zoa frags, a toadstool, a finger leather , and a very small mushroom. I really cannot decide where to place them. I tried gluing them down and it was a mess. I’m considering lifting the scape out and gluing them out of the water. The scape is one piece. I would love some advice on corals to buy, and where to place them. I’m going to the “Carolina Reef Experience “ this weekend and would like to make a couple of purchases.

Please help me decorate this tank. I’m running an 8 hour lightings schedule for now , trying to limit algae until the us gets here.

Any suggestions are welcomed. The better it looks the longer my leash becomes.

2716B5C3-7C6D-4F4A-99BD-20DF425C5BE2.jpeg

A77EDC9F-1471-4502-96ED-0AE0967C82E4.jpeg

854F7C16-C598-4FDA-BBE3-1C73BE644BC5.jpeg

13EE1BC5-6A7C-4A20-B4EB-740BB209209C.jpeg

7B650686-3982-458C-BB72-DC1CB2365835.jpeg

46449661-7698-4A59-8FB5-65347D60EEAF.jpeg

2054B8E2-2A5E-4697-976F-D892DEF3DC59.jpeg

3C2BE1FD-0371-46DD-972F-D619362A8767.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1