Pod Your Reef

Hitch hiker ID - mushrooms?

RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

These two came in on established live wet rock. Looking for help identifying them. I believe the maroon/brown one is a mushroom of some sort. Not sure about the little green one below it.

IMG_5957.thumb.jpeg.aa1c796a3b3318c49e595d2ea504fe22 (1).jpeg

IMG_6919 (1).jpeg

Agreed from these pictures, but can you post another of the first one? It's probably a paly, but may be a really strangely posed mushroom. Assuming that's a paly, if I were you, I would take a pair of bone cutters/wire cutters/etc and try to chop away the rock the paly is on- wearing gloves! It looks like one of the invasive, toxic ones, so you should isolate it on a rock on the sandbed, not on your rockwork. 

RaymondNoodles
15 hours ago, Tired said:

Agreed from these pictures, but can you post another of the first one? It's probably a paly, but may be a really strangely posed mushroom. Assuming that's a paly, if I were you, I would take a pair of bone cutters/wire cutters/etc and try to chop away the rock the paly is on- wearing gloves! It looks like one of the invasive, toxic ones, so you should isolate it on a rock on the sandbed, not on your rockwork. 

The first pic was taken when I first got the live rock in June, and the second pic shows the same coral, a few months later.

Based on the other 2 comments, I thought the little green one was possibly the paly and the maroon/one is probably a mushroom.

Here's another pic of the first one. I am unable to get a better pic of the green one. It's in a tough spot and is being shaded by the maroon one.

Thanks.

IMG_6954.jpg

Ah, that's just a stretched mushroom, not a paly. I see no palys in these photos. And the thing in the foreground looks like the leg of a brittle star, if you didn't know about that.

RaymondNoodles
16 hours ago, Tired said:

Ah, that's just a stretched mushroom, not a paly. I see no palys in these photos. And the thing in the foreground looks like the leg of a brittle star, if you didn't know about that.

The little green paly is hard to see. I’ll try and get a better pic. In regards to the brittle star, yes we are well aware. We have probably 20-30 of them. Interesting little creatures! My daughter pretends to be grossed out by all of their little legs popping up at feeding time but I can tell she really loves them.

RaymondNoodles
11 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Little green one is a green implosion paly. The large one next to it is a leopard discosoma, although the colors appear to be off (could be due to lighting as well). 

After some googling I believe you are correct - green implosion paly. Interesting! Thanks!

RaymondNoodles
10 hours ago, Instant_taco said:

Mushroom looks like some sort of spotted discosoma. If your saying it's maroon and it has blue spots it's most likely a superman mushroom.

Yes the spots are blue and I think you’re right - Superman mushroom. Thanks! Up until recently it was being shaded by Kenya tree coral so it’s stretching for light. I did some forest trimming so I’m interested to see how fast this guy will grow. The blue spots have been getting brighter and larger ever since 😃

• Like 1

Oh, I see the paly now, it's that tiny green bit below the circled mushroom. You still may want to see if you can move it; those are fast-growing. Though IIRC they might not be one of the toxic ones, just a lookalike? Treat them like they're toxic anyway, just in case. 

RaymondNoodles

Here's a slightly better pic of the green paly. Other than the mushroom, there aren't really any other corals on that rock, just some kenya tree and coraline algae. The brittle stars seem to really like the paly. It looks pretty but I suppose it's smart to get rid of it now before it gets out of control.

IMG_6988.jpeg

You could get rid of it, or you could just isolate it on a rock on the sandbed, so it can't spread around. They are pretty, and their fast-growing nature is nice to watch. If you can't chop the bit of rock it's on out, I would probably just remove the rock from the water and smother the paly in liquid superglue, trying not to get any on the mushroom.