Top Shelf Aquatics

Sick clownfish

W1ll

I have two small clownfish in my fluval evo 13.5. The tank has been running for 5 months. recently I added a some utter chaos zoas and a candy cane coral. about a week after adding my corals. One of my clownfish developed small black dots over its tail area and seems to sitting right next to my overflow box, breathing a little heavy and not moving much. It occasionally still swims away from the overflow box to mingle with the other fish, and as of a few hours ago is still eating normally. Should I be concerned? what could this be? and how to I treat it? I know that the pics attached only show one dot, the fish has another 3 on its other side of pretty much the same size.

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

I have read that the black dots may be black itch? or even some corals can cause clownfish to have swelling around the mouth and produce dark pigmentation. Would a candy cane coral, a hammer coral, or zoas be capable of this?

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Clowns often get black spots when rubbing into corals that sting.

Black ich is extremely uncommon in the hobby

Thank you for the reply. Would a hammer coral have a potent enough sting to cause this? I have noticed them getting pretty close to my wall hammer, but I haven't observed them "rubbing" in it for an extended period of time. 

On 10/19/2021 at 10:30 PM, W1ll said:

Thank you for the reply. Would a hammer coral have a potent enough sting to cause this? I have noticed them getting pretty close to my wall hammer, but I haven't observed them "rubbing" in it for an extended period of time. 

Yes it could cause the black spots.

My clowns hosted a frogspawn and 1 had black spots forever while the other didn't

This is a normal occurance, they don't effect the clowns health at all.

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Humblefish said:

Sounds like Hyper-Melanization: 

Thanks for chiming in @Humblefish, I read through your website/forum and came to that conclusion as well. I suspect that it being caused by them recently hanging around my hammer. 

• Like 1