Top Shelf Aquatics

New 11g mixed reef!!!

Utahpico

Finally back in the hobby, went with the hardest tank possible a “cube” 🤮 just fit best in the space I had. But with my years of experience, and keeping things very simple it’s going to be a damn awesome tank. 44020A4A-7EFA-481A-933F-EC9448AB39D2.thumb.jpeg.ad5c32d435a5326bbaccc3f9414df4b6.jpeg26A39AEE-D607-47A1-A31B-0A7707299CFB.thumb.jpeg.6e03948f5e24531637628c83a779f1a7.jpeg

• Like 4

I went with a Negative space aquascape. These rocks were made for my 45g breeder that had several pillars. I wanted something different. So I took the rock I made for this tank and two pillars from my other reef and swapped them

and made it work. It’s a lot of rock for this 11g but I like the weird unintended look it gives, there’s lots of space for corals, and lots of negative space and caves for the 🐠 B0A8C9D5-D8B9-44E7-AA7E-F141D67C3B4E.thumb.jpeg.facd28d9962898f06636fb2bed89dedf.jpeg5D0F2447-BE50-4CEB-A469-89538C28817A.thumb.jpeg.0b60556a740479e4e4d1a0ce936dc04f.jpeg

Equipment:

AC 20g hob floss and rox carbon

50w cobalt neo

kessil a80 mounted 4” over water 

Jebao low profile WiFi wave maker

Stock:

2 clowns and bi color Dottie back

various lps, spa, zoas, pretty mixed. Yes there are acros in there and doing great! 

Maintenance:

50% wc every week instant ocean 

add reef food, vitamins and aminos with new water. Also water gets polished before w/c 
daily RO top off by hand

daily addition of micro Bacter 7 

2-3xs weekly addition of brightwell amino and vitamins in small does approx. 2drops, along with benereef 1-2xs a week if I remember.  And filter media gets changed every 2-3 weeks. Tank has been setup 2 months. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Do you only run the blue lights all the time?

Yes! Only blue I will be making a custom led light build this weekend will be about 30k blue. “ a little white as not to be so saturated” otherwise my clowns are just black and white. 

• Like 1
less than bread

Love the look of this. I'm just getting a 20 gallon started that will eventually be a mixed reef so I will be following closely. Are floss and carbon all you're going to run for filtration or do you have plans to add other stuff?

12 minutes ago, less than bread said:

Love the look of this. I'm just getting a 20 gallon started that will eventually be a mixed reef so I will be following closely. Are floss and carbon all you're going to run for filtration or do you have plans to add other stuff?

Yes that’s it. Both my 45g and 11g are ran the same. With a hob filter. I may play around with zeolite as Ive had success in the past but that’s it. Just carbon and floss👍🏼

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, gen said:

That's a nice tank you have going on.

What is that flashy yellow coral you have in there? 

That’s my 24k gold lepto, I hid it in the back, it’s so bright. 

11 hours ago, sango said:

Good looking tank! How are you liking the Jebao wavemaker? I'm torn between that one and the Nero 3...

I like it a lot. I got the WiFi version with the lcd display. There are programs and adjustments I can make vs the old school Jebao controls. But will probably get a Nero next year to match my ai prime.

• Thanks 1

Prime is in! It’s not as blue as the a80, and the shimmer is different, but with the 80-90 degree optics I can have this light mounted way higher than kessil’s wide angle Which gives it a cleaner look in my opinion, I may add the diffuser and check that out. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...