SaltCritters.com

What is this?

Gtojr

Changing out an old tank to start a new reef today. When I took the old rock out to put in live sand, I found this thing.  I’m trying to upload a picture but it’s about an inch long, fleshy, grey, eggplant shape.  At first I thought it was a plant but now it’s extending and contracting a “tail” or appendage. Any clue to what it is? 

Editing to also ask about spongy things on bottom of a few rocks. Are these the sponges that I am reading I should remove with a tooth brush and rinse with old aquarium water, then replace in tank? 

BEB060EC-9514-4770-AA9D-67D9E08E21C4.jpeg

6CCA4AD2-D89A-4C9F-9B63-162043EAE337.jpeg

• Like 2

I will be tagging along, just to see what this ... "thing" is.  At first glance, I thought it may be a sea cucumber of sorts, but after looking a little harder, I really have no clue.  I wish I could help with the ID tho.

No idea about the sponge either.  My phone doesn't show pictures very well with it's 4 year old scratched up screen. 

Adam

1 hour ago, Gtojr said:

Changing out an old tank to start a new reef today. When I took the old rock out to put in live sand, I found this thing.  I’m trying to upload a picture but it’s about an inch long, fleshy, grey, eggplant shape.  At first I thought it was a plant but now it’s extending and contracting a “tail” or appendage. Any clue to what it is? 

Editing to also ask about spongy things on bottom of a few rocks. Are these the sponges that I am reading I should remove with a tooth brush and rinse with old aquarium water, then replace in tank? 

Peanut worm. Good guy to have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really? I can put him back in? He’s currently quarantined, 😆 I can’t believe it’s actually a

good thing for once! 

can you tell I’d the first picture is a “pineapple sponge”? Actually reading here that is a good thing also?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Gtojr said:

Really? I can put him back in? He’s currently quarantined, 😆 I can’t believe it’s actually a

good thing for once! 

can you tell I’d the first picture is a “pineapple sponge”? Actually reading here that is a good thing also?

Both are very good things. 😊

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
jcrisman2009
On 10/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, Gtojr said:

Peanut worm. Detritus eater very beneficial.

• Like 1