inTank Media Baskets

Proper way to release new coral into tank

magma

I've read somewhere that once you get the new coral, you acclimate it in the bag. After the acclimation, submerge the whole bag under water and push the coral out of the bag. Then tie up the bag under water.

Is this the proper way? Is there no way to prevent letting the lfs water into my tank?

How do you guys get your new coral into your tanks?

Thanks

i'm really new to this, but mine do fine just acclimating them in the bag a little and then just scoopin them out the bag and into the tank. i dont think you really have to submerge the whole bag and stuff

Blind Tree Frog

According to the guy at the LFS, he just tosses them in, but he admits that this isn't the best way.

What i did last night and seemed to work was put the bag in the tank and let the water temperatures match and then poke a small hole in the side of the bag (like pin prick small) so the water can slowly mix. About an hour later i figure the water has mixed well enough so I take it out of the bag and place it.

Someone will jump on me for that though because many don't like the idea of mixing LFS water with their tank water. This is a good point because who knows what has been floating around their tanks. But i don't really have the means for a proper acclimation.

The "correct" way I'd say would be do like Iceberg or Neon. Keep them seperated and slowly add water. After an hour or two pull the coral out and place it and dump the acclimation water.

acclimate to temp (float bag). open bag. slowly add water over an extended period of time. (some ppl recommend doubling the volume at least twice.) more time if sg is not the same. remove water from bag if necessary to add more water. take coral out of water and place in tank. do not mix unknown lfs sw into tank.

I was always told not to take the coral out of water so I wix water and then try and scoop some out and then add more water. I do this twice so that the LFS water is gone. I have water made up so I can replase the water I took out.

Yeah, i've read that corals should not be out of the water. For some corals, they even say absolutely do not take out of water.

I think snaggle's method is what I will go with.

Originally posted by magma

Yeah, i've read that corals should not  be out of the water. For some corals, they even say absolutely do not take out of water.

I think snaggle's method is what I will go with.

Where did you read that? This is the first I have ever heard that corals should not be out of water. Whenever I have to super glue a piece to the rock I take it out and glue it. If a larger piece has to be epoxied, it is also taken out and the area dried off. I have never had a problem with any of the corals that were taken out of water.

The only thing I never do is use any of the water from the bag. You are only asking for problems if you do this.

Bob

i do this

put the bag into the water to get the temp up leave the bag in the tank for about 30mins and then put water from your tank into the bag (only wee bits at a time) do this untill your bag is full then take the coral out of the bag and put it into that tank!

Archived