Coral Vue Hydros

Moldy RODI

Odyssey350kc

I have a roughly 30 gallon Rubbermaid container I have stay filled with rodi water in my basement. It also has a lid. The problem I have is the water gets a film on the tip and grows mold. I end up having to drain and clean the container about once a month.

I usually leave the cover off because if I leave it on it gets really moldy quickly. I get a fuzzy white mold on the surface of the water, and black spots of mold above the waterline and on the cover. 

I have a dehumidifier running in the basement that automatically turns on and off to keep the humidity down, and I don't get mold anywhere else.

Is this a problem other people have?

I am planning on moving my setup in a few months and I am wondering if there is anything I can do to stop the mold.

That's interesting. There shouldn't be any nutrients in the rodi water for the mold to grow on. You said it is a Rubbermaid container; is it a food safe container? I'd be curious if there is something in the particular plastic that the mold is able to consume. Being a moist environment, a nutrition source is all the mold would need to thrive. Is it possible that your rodi water isn't actually zero tds?

• Like 1

You need to clean and sterilize the exposed interior surfaces – they are contaminates with mold spores at this point.  What I've done in this case is just use a paper towel wetted with rubbing alcohol and wipe down everything above the water line thoroughly.  Use more than one alcohol wipe if needed.

If you continue to have problems, there has to be a way for a fair amount of dust/dirt to be getting in...are there holes in the lid?  It should be snug around any wires, tubes or pipes, with minimal/no air gaps anywhere.