Top Shelf Aquatics

Toadstool development/observation question

CMuentener

I have a 16 gallon tank with a 10 gallon refugium. System is about 9 months old, everything seems to be going fine and really enjoying the hobby. My question is about toadstool leather development in particular coloration. I purchased a rock from an established tank about Eight weeks ago for the established Coraline algae but over the last eight weeks I’ve watched a little toadstool develop along with what looks like encrusting sponges (3) grow ,pink neon green and white. The toadstool started about the size and color of a grain of rice now it has a clear stock and About a centimeter and a half in diameter cap. Daily the polyps extend and retract. My question is around the coloration. It’s basically off-white and has been all along. Normally white corals are a sign of bleaching correct? This girl has always been in the same spot in the tank and all other corals seem to be thriving. Question could this be a white toadstool or do they color up as they age. Thank you 

756FF6F4-4F81-43B3-97FA-960D9F89F4F1.jpeg

130BA78E-B111-46DC-B90F-05236AC5FA16.jpeg

Its a fairly young toadstool thats grown from just some flesh left on a rock and they are often paler at this stage.

Its not uncommon for leathers to be pale when fragged and growing

Some stay a pale yellowish colour while others turn pinkish.

Its obviously growing so thats a great sign.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Its a fairly young toadstool thats grown from just some flesh left on a rock and they are often paler at this stage.

Its not uncommon for leathers to be pale when fragged and growing

Some stay a pale yellowish colour while others turn pinkish.

Its obviously growing so thats a great sign.

As white as that 🤨? Wow 😮, I didn't know this.

It could be getting too much light, but considering it's growing from almost nothing on it's own it will likely self acclimate over time. Toads are very hardy and tend to adapt to a variety of conditions.

Your aquascape is awesome!!

8 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

As white as that 🤨? Wow 😮, I didn't know this.

Ya. I got one and it was fairly light in colour. It turned out yellow over time.

Nothing else in the tank looks bleached so I would the colour of the toadstool is not likely lighting.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, this is my first go around building a reef. I've tried to be diligent and slow but it take a lot of will power not to panic. So far so good. It took me forever to build the aquascape but my intent was to have no dead spots and lots of varying coral placement options. If this little toadstool takes off I'll have to re think my middle of the tank options but that wouldn't be a bad thing.  Guess I'll just stick to my normal water change and feeding schedule. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, CMuentener said:

Thanks for the feedback, this is my first go around building a reef. I've tried to be diligent and slow but it take a lot of will power not to panic. So far so good. It took me forever to build the aquascape but my intent was to have no dead spots and lots of varying coral placement options. If this little toadstool takes off I'll have to re think my middle of the tank options but that wouldn't be a bad thing.  Guess I'll just stick to my normal water change and feeding schedule. 

The tank looks amazing, you did a good job.

Its very normal when you are new to be concerned about a lot and thats ok. 

I think its pretty awesome you have a toadstool growing from just a piece of flesh.

When i fragged my very large toadstool, the pieces were fairly pale to begin with, it took them a while to gain colour

• Like 1