Top Shelf Aquatics

Mysis shrimp... Thaw and keep in fridge?

1st reef

I only have 2 fish and 3 hermit crabs and 1 whole cube is too much obviously. 

Can I thaw a cube and keep in the fridge for 24-48 hrs? Should I rinse them? I thaw in aquarium water and feed. 

tidepooldreamer

I always thaw and keep in the fridge for a couple of days, never had any issues with this. I've never bothered to rinse, either, although that's supposed to help reduce the amount of phosphates added by the food.

What I do is I thaw a few cubes at a time, rinse them with distilled water, pour off most of the water, and then spread the mysis very thinly inside a ziploc bag. Lay the bag on its side in the freezer and freeze. It turns into a super-thin sheet of mysis, like those flat-pack things but much thinner. Then you can break off tiny pieces. It should only have been thawed for 10-20 minutes, so there's no risk of pathogens multiplying too much. 

Storing thawed out would definitely reduce nutrients in the food....some of them very quickly.  It's a question of freshness and food quality.  (You're paying a lot for frozen food quality....why not just use pellets and flakes otherwise?  MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper.)

I would do what Jakesaw suggests...perfect!!

On 10/4/2021 at 12:24 AM, Jakesaw said:

I cut the cubes up frozen into thirds and keep the remaining 2/3 in a ziplock baggie.  Chefs knife, cutting board and ziplock baggies.  No problems

i slice off what i want to feed with a razor blade into a cup and add tank water to thaw for a few minutes. you can thaw and keep for a day or two but not beyond that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1