Coral Vue Hydros

Dead LEDs?

scrappy34

40 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Led life span should be in the 13 years for reef tank (10h days).

This is highly dependent on heatsinking, drive current, and actual LED model.  While there are LEDs that are rated for 50k hours (or more), there are plenty of designs that are overdriven or underheatsunk for those nominal performance estimates.

As for your light, it definitely should look more regular than that.  If this image is right, you probably have two rows of LEDs out (leftmost and left of center), which would mean a single failed emitter in each row, or damage to the wires taking electricity to the rows.  Depending on the driving/control scheme, they could even be connected and just represent a failure of a channel, a failure of a driver element, or a break in a wire that connects the LEDs to the driver.  I think these light drivers are conformally coated, so I don't think repair is going to be easy even if it's not complicated, so looking for a replacement is probably a good bet.

20130320-kessil-a350-chip.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sadly I have found that leds do not last as long as we think they should. Largely due to components used, dust, and the very fact that these leds hang over a humid salty tank. 

I have seen this issue before with kessil and people have commented that you need to open it up and clean regularly as they will gather dust inside. At least once the warranty is over. Unfortunately it won’t fix an already broken light 😞