ReefCleaners.org

AI Prime 16HD over Aquapod 24

Narazbad

Hello, all.

I'm running a Prime 16HD over an old (I've seriously had this thing for over a decade) Aquapod 24 gallon. I'm only running softies in the system, but I'd like to get a better spectrum/schedule for coloration of my coral, while reducing turf algae overgrowth. I'll post a SS of schedule and intensities when I get a chance this evening.

Thank you for your help!

Kindanewtothis
47 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

There are 3 popular settings for ai primes.

The BRS Ai 

David Saxeby

Pirates of the Caribbean 

I used the 2 of these and preferred BRS schedule for the Prime HD

Isn't the BRS too strong for the lights? Many people report burning lens using it. 167% seems like a lot.

Screenshot_20210916-185249_myAI.jpg

7 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Isn't the BRS too strong for the lights? Many people report burning lens using it. 167% seems like a lot.

Screenshot_20210916-185249_myAI.jpg

You have to adjust the settings according to tank size and coral needs

Also did those ppl fry their corals because instead of acclimating over a long period they started very high? 

There is no light settings meets everyones needs

My 25g had 2 ai hd's. My blue was 65%, rb 70, uv 100, v 100, w 10 and it worked well, when i went higher, things went bad.

There are others who have the same tank, same lights that run them at brs true settings for the hd.

There are ppl that run 2 hd's on a 10g.

Kindanewtothis
23 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You have to adjust the settings according to tank size and coral needs

Also did those ppl fry their corals because instead of acclimating over a long period they started very high? 

There is no light settings meets everyones needs

My 25g had 2 ai hd's. My blue was 65%, rb 70, uv 100, v 100, w 10 and it worked well, when i went higher, things went bad.

There are others who have the same tank, same lights that run them at brs true settings for the hd.

There are ppl that run 2 hd's on a 10g.

Yeah, but whatever the tank size, if you use as is, lens are gonna burn.

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Yeah, but whatever the tank size, if you use as is, lens are gonna burn.

Why because its happened to a few ppl? Its not happened to every single owner.

There are numerous stories all over the internet on various pieces of equipment failing for some but not for others.

Tons of ppl have neotherm heaters work without issues and some of us they completely failed, just a few yrs ago ppl had theirs melt within the tank causing plastic leaching and their homes stinking of fumes. 

They are still highly recommended heaters.

Same goes with the Ai lights. 

• Like 2

I am running a modified brs schedule, I couldn't get my UV and purple to overdrive, so. 

Since it's only softies, I'll try it out. Also turned on acclimation mode to keep from melting anything.

Thank you all for the advice. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Why because its happened to a few ppl? Its not happened to every single owner.

There are numerous stories all over the internet on various pieces of equipment failing for some but not for others.

Tons of ppl have neotherm heaters work without issues and some of us they completely failed, just a few yrs ago ppl had theirs melt within the tank causing plastic leaching and their homes stinking of fumes. 

They are still highly recommended heaters.

Same goes with the Ai lights. 

Wish I could speak better of them but all 4 of my ai primes have their uv/v lens burned through in under a year, with the newest being 6mo. Same goes for the lfs I work at, around a dozen or so pucks all melted hah

37 minutes ago, Jaren45 said:

Wish I could speak better of them but all 4 of my ai primes have their uv/v lens burned through in under a year, with the newest being 6mo. Same goes for the lfs I work at, around a dozen or so pucks all melted hah

Is that the 16hd?

I had original prime for 6 yrs, not a hiccup and 2 HD's with not an issue.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The facebook ai prime page is full of people with burned lens on 16hd.

Its the only 1 that seems to have issues is the 16.

Same thing happens with numerous companies.

IM tanks are amazing yet 2 models of their tanks were prone to leaking, split seams, and worse.

If i listed the issues over various reef products, there wouldn't be much left to buy.

So stay away from the 16hd, they have other lights that have had no issues