Coral Vue Hydros

Stocking Order - Who goes in next?

stevie1493

Hello fellow reefers.

When I setup my current 55g Reef I envisioned the following fish stocking plan: 

2x Naked Dot Clownfish (currently in DT)

1x Yellow Watchman Goby (currently in QT)

1x Orchid Dottyback (currently in QT)

1x Blenny

1x Centropyge dwarf angel

1x Yellow Coris Wrasse

MAYBE 5-7x Green Chromis (Chromis viridis) OR 2x Pajama/Banggai Cardinals

I'm having second thoughts about this plan and would appreciate feedback on stocking order as I have never kept any of the next fish I plan on stocking. My concerns were mostly the potential issues adding peaceful fish after the Orchid goes into DT as well as the potential for a Yellow Coris Wrasse to kill my prized cleaner shrimp (I know there is a risk the Orchid could as well). As a result I am leaning towards a more aggressive stocking list. My updated stocking plan includes:

2x Naked Dot Clownfish

1x Yellow Watchman Goby

1x Orchid Dottyback

1x Six-line Wrasse

1x Centropyge dwarf angel

1 OR 3 of the more docile species of damsels from the Chrysiptera genus, especially the Azure, Yellowtail, or Rolland's

If I go this route I'm will have the clowns, YWG, and Dottyback in the DT and am considering QTing the dwarf angel and six-line together next, and then adding the damsels last. I am concerned the 2mo old dry rock tank doesn't have enough grazing fauna for the angel though so am wondering if the angel could go in after the damsels?

How would you execute this stocking plan?

EDIT: Corrected the spelling in the title.. "on" to "in"

I think it was good that you nixed the more peaceful species, they might not have done so well. 
One thing to keep in mind with your current more aggressive list is territory. Do you have enough live rock that fish can spread out and claim their own crevices? 
Yeah, I would wait on the dwarf angel. They generally come with enough size and spunk to hold their own, and you’re right, it would appreciate grazing opportunities. If you’re worried, you can always rubber band some nori to a small rock for it to munch on. 

Overall, I’d go sixline next, then a trio of yellowtail damsels (Chrysiptera parasema), and then your angel last. Coral beauties are gorgeous, in my opinion.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Do you have enough live rock that fish can spread out and claim their own crevices? 

How do you go about analyzing this question in your tanks? In this scape there are three caves and one rock that has a half of dozen holes which are around an inch in diameter. The Goby will hopefully pair up right away with the tiger pistol that's already in there and live in the burrow.

This morning I just realized🤦‍♂️ that I have a refugium that is quickly growing Ulva (50% increase in size in 1 week) along with a few other macro species. I figure I could give the angel some macro on a piece of rubble every day or so. Still should probably wait huh?

My LFS has six-lines out the wazoo right now and most are tiny, maybe 1.5". That'll also be a little nicer on the budget to push the angel out. I really want a flame, but coral beauties are a much better value and I know I can get a captive bred specimen. My LFS currently has African Dwarfs on sale and those are attractive too...

PXL_20210907_001459508.jpg

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, stevie1493 said:

How do you go about analyzing this question in your tanks?

I don’t know if there’s a hard-and-fast number you’re looking for. More along the lines of “the more spaces there are, the less chances of territorial disputes”.

I’ve got two good spaces in my tank, but I only have two fish that like to hide like that.

DDE34C4F-76E6-466D-A689-E442B6EBD291.thumb.jpeg.31e53adffe663586cc5f3c6a627a08cc.jpeg

The royal gramma has the hollow rock and cave on the left, and the firefish has a burrow under the branch rock on the right. The chromis is everywhere.

I would be careful putting Ulva in the display tank. Once it gets established and starts growing, it’s hard to contain. It’s a pain to clean off of power heads and filters too.

Are you planning on getting corals for this tank eventually? Dwarf angels have a habit of eating stuff. 
EDIT

Oh, I see you have some corals. The angels tend to go after SPS and zoas, your softies will probably be fine.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

“the more spaces there are, the less chances of territorial disputes”

Based on everything I've read about these species I think this stocking plan should be pretty much maxing out the usable space in the aquarium while providing a suitable habitat for the fish. 

I know the chances for aggression are still there, but with your feedback I think the plan of a six-line, then damsels, then angel should minimize the chances for issues. This will be a fully stocked tank IMO.

I need to take it slow. I will QT all fish for 1-2 months at least so it might be five months or so before I even get the angel which will give time for my corals (Zoas included) to establish themselves and for the LR to mature some more.

Still interested to hear what others think

• Like 1