Top Shelf Aquatics

Need Help Feeding Clean Up Crew

Djm4ng0

I bought a clean up crew about 2 weeks ago. They consist of about 4 red legged hermits, 2 blue legged hermits, 1 emerald crab, 2 Nassarius snails, and 1 peppermint shrimp. I also had about 4 Trochus snails but each of them died one by one no idea why. I had a lot of algae but since I’ve had the clean up crew they pretty much got rid of most of it. I don’t want them all to starve if there’s no more algae so my question is what can I feed them? I bought some seaweed from my lfs, will my hermits and emerald crab eat that? If not what else could I Use? I also forgot to mention my tank is 7 gallons if that makes any difference.

How old is your tank?

It seems like your tank could be a little overstocked on CUC. If there’s not algae for them to eat, maybe return or rehome a couple. 
If you don’t want to do that, everything but the trochus snails (if there are any left), will be happy eating meaty foods or pellets. But intentionally feeding the CUC seems to defeat the purpose in my mind.

Do you have aiptasia anemones that you’re trying to get rid of?

10 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

How old is your tank?

It seems like your tank could be a little overstocked on CUC. If there’s not algae for them to eat, maybe return or rehome a couple. 
If you don’t want to do that, everything but the trochus snails (if there are any left), will be happy eating meaty foods or pellets. But intentionally feeding the CUC seems to defeat the purpose in my mind.

Do you have aiptasia anemones that you’re trying to get rid of?

The tank is a little over 3 months now but yeah I had a feeling it might be a little overstocked. I want to return the peppermint shrimp but they never really come out during the day lol so it’s kinda a hassle. Will the cleanup crew eat seaweed if i drop a little in? Or is meaty food better?

3 hours ago, Djm4ng0 said:

And I’m not sure why all my Trochus snails died one by one there was a lot of algae at that time I have a suspicion the peppermint killed them lol or maybe the hermits?

I doubt a small shrimp would kill snails like that. Hermits could but IME hermits have only went after snails that were on death's door. Just noticed it this morning with an Astraea that I acclimated yesterday. Hermits and Nassarius have a nose for the dead and dying and seek out creatures to scavenge.

Over time the tank will reach an equilibrium - I feel comfortable feeding a little more in a tank with a CUC than one without, but I would never intentionally feed CUC members. If I thought a CUC member would need supplemental feeding I would not add it to my system. Do you watch your peppermint take food out of the water column?

Thank you guys for the replies and information it’s very much appreciated. And yes i might have killed my Trochus snails from under acclimating lol. And about the peppermint shrimp he is really greedy I try feeding him first so he can be busy while I feed the CUC be he still steals they’re food a lot of times lol. He also annoys the coral I have 

• Like 1