inTank Media Baskets

Pico 8.5L, because i like stress apparently.

HWEP

Hi everyone!!

I'm new here, i only joined 5 minutes ago! I thought i'd do my first post on the reason i've joined.

Your fantastic Pico focussed Topic threads!

After a rollercoaster few months with my large 30Gal which is now calming down and equilibrium is restoring at almost 1 year old, evidently i get a high off consistent panic, so i've decided to induce more stress on myself.

Secondhand 2 gallon Pico tank.

Current equipment:

- 10L Fluval Spec AIO freshwater tank. 8.5 Litres DT, 1.5 Litres in the chambers. This has 2 chambers, intake and return.
- Stock white light
- Small blue LED light (Cheap amazon one), although it puts out a fantastic colour.
- filter media in order of placement: filter floss, Ceramic balls, live rock. (TBC, not decided if i'm happy with this)
- Stock return pump
- Upgraded to a nano titanium heater
- Cheap 3D printed wave output nozzle as this tank didn't come with one (S shaped).

Stupidly didn't get a photograph of it beforehand...sorry. It was in full tropical set up complete with gravel, pebbles and fake plants. I scrubbed the life out of it, soaked in various natural cleaners and i've left it to naturally dry for 48hrs.

Last night, i used my existing tank water, existing rock and existing media and set it up! Fragged some Galaxia and pulsing xenia to give it a bit of a basic look.

Problems i've found so far are predominantly the limited lighting controls and the water agitation/flow.

Next jobs:

- Upgrade the stock and Amazon LED light to the TMC IlumAir Nano V2
- Upgrade the return pump to the Tunze Universal Pump Mini
- Get an actual RFG nozzle made to size
- Possibly rescape the tank for a more quirky look. It's a bit plain for me at the moment.
- Further research on pico tank ideal filtration as i'm not convinced i like what i have at the moment.

Tank has cleared fantastically overnight from the slight cloudiness (photo was taken within 15 minutes of setting up). I'll be sure to get a photograph today.

Not 100% on what i'm stocking with yet, but it's certainly going to be very hardy types.

Anyway, i hope you enjoy this thread as it grows and matures. I'm super excited (Pepsi bottle for size) 😁

10515_packaging.jpg

241656038_3269221453312965_7988774570976027684_n.jpg

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Looks good, i miss my little Spec 3. Have you plugged the little hole in the wall between the DT and Chambers? 

Also UK i am assuming?

Thanks. It's an adorable little tank i must admit. And it makes my 30 look huge which is always a blessing considering i have persistent cravings to get a bigger one.

I haven't just yet, but i'm considering using rubble and gluing it up the wall to gain some depth, i'll glue it closed/ cover it then. I had an evo some time back and it was a pain before i plugged that one's too. 

Yes UK, how did you guess? 😄 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, HWEP said:

Thanks. It's an adorable little tank i must admit. And it makes my 30 look huge which is always a blessing considering i have persistent cravings to get a bigger one.

I haven't just yet, but i'm considering using rubble and gluing it up the wall to gain some depth, i'll glue it closed/ cover it then. I had an evo some time back and it was a pain before i plugged that one's too. 

Yes UK, how did you guess? 😄 

The TMC Light choice, if you glue rubble to the wall dont take it all the way up, that causes a load of problems to the stability of the tank (my plastic base warped massively at the rear section)

• Wow 1
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

The TMC Light choice, if you glue rubble to the wall dont take it all the way up, that causes a load of problems to the stability of the tank (my plastic base warped massively at the rear section)

Interesting- thanks!! 

I might have a re-think and glue a scape out of the tank to just place in, instead. Great to know that though, could have been disastrous. 

Did you manage to resurrect the base? 

Sadly not no, lockdown 1 hit and the tank was left in the office. The Heater exploded and took out the tank once the water evaporated. I would try another one but i would support the base of the tank with some wood to add some strength to the plastic base

• Sad 1

Update- 

Tank cleared nicely. All parameters spot on so I’ve added some Zoas, mushrooms and rescued the goniopora frag from the urchin as it’s insistent on taking it, even if I glue it down. Still need to rescape 🙄

image.jpg

• Like 1