ReefCleaners.org

better ways to clean exterior of tank

filefishfinatic

A mixture of equal parts white vinegar and rodi water applied with a microfiber towel (or windex sprayed on the towel if I am lazy) This will get most of the salt off. 

I follow up with a final polish with Fritz Glass and Acrylic cleaner, which give it a nice slick coating.

• Like 1
filefishfinatic

how long will it last. also, does magic eraser work? the kind i have says dont use on aquariums but i tested it on my empty 10 gallon and nothing happened 

It lasts until you get more drips on the outside glass 🙂 I've heard some people applying auto wax on the glass which makes the surface hydrophobic and the water beads off. I've never tried it.

I use magic erasers to scrub algae etc off the inside of the tank. Make sure it is the plain magic eraser, no additives. The magic eraser is just melamine foam and is non-toxic. I used it in all my tanks for a few years now. 

• Like 1
filefishfinatic

later today i am going to try to engineer a simple spillgaurd to glue to my tank rims so it just slides off the rim onto the floor. it will just fall to the floor and then dry up. 

• 11 months later...

I think a magic eraser is not a bad idea. In my previous time, I used a magic eraser. The spots and other stain is not only inside there can be a few on the outer side, but the real concerns for most aquarium owners are the stains present on the inner side. if you are just worried about the glass, then let's draw your attention to the beautiful rock, which has not remained much beautiful because of water stains over it. You can remove all the stains probably through the Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean or the melamine sponge. That Magic Eraser is a unique tool that can help you brush off dirt particles, stains, grout, mold, and all other substances out of the surface in question (which in this case is our aquarium). I will use it again after restocking my tank.