Coral Vue Hydros

Is my fish racist?

Xj reefing

Ok around 3 weeks ago I added a molly to my reef tank after a successful acclimation. The next week I added a yellow coris wrasse and so far every morning the molly has been chasing the wrasse. It does not chase any other fish. Is he racist?

• Haha 1

Similar color and body plan might cause a male molly to mistake it for a potential mate, same could be true for a female (dominant females can get a little murdery in FW).

Some mollies are also just plain aggressive, but that's rare and usually only toward their own.

• Like 3
filefishfinatic
15 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

Ok around 3 weeks ago I added a molly to my reef tank after a successful acclimation. The next week I added a yellow coris wrasse and so far every morning the molly has been chasing the wrasse. It does not chase any other fish. Is he racist?

cancel the molly on twitter that will stop him. 

11 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

The mollie is a Dalmatian. What are the breeding behaviours it would exhibit?

Chasing, nipping, checking vent fins; there are videos, pictures, and all around more detailed information out about the web on various freshwater-focused websites.
Dalmatian mollies are supposedly sailfin x "normal" molly hybrids, they're not necessarily aware of their own colors and likely care more about the bodyplan.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

Is this a serious question lol seriously.  

I know right, this wouldn't even qualify as inter-genus discrimination, much less melanin-focused intra-species.
The molly probably just wants a good lay.

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, Xj reefing said:

Haha yes I think the molly just wants to have a good time. Thanks for ur help

No worries, wouldn't be too concerned as long as there's not any aggression at food time and the wrasse is acting fairly normal/ fat-and-happy (no torn fins too, molly's have cow lips but a solid bite).

• Like 1