ReefCleaners.org

Stocking waterbox 10

aclman88

Hey y’all!

I have a waterbox 10 ( downgraded from my 20 after we moved). Currently have my two percs thinking about a clown goby or tailspot blenny. 

thoughts? I feel I may already be at stocking limits, so just want to confirm that or see if you think there is room for a third. Thanks!

I'm going to say that it depends on how territorial your clownfish are.  However, a ten gallon tank might end up being too small for full grown Percula Clownfish.  Do you still have your 20 gallon tank?  Seems like that would fit the need.

4 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm going to say that it depends on how territorial your clownfish are.  However, a ten gallon tank might end up being too small for full grown Percula Clownfish.  Do you still have your 20 gallon tank?  Seems like that would fit the need.

True. The clowns are not really territorial (at least weren’t in the 20), but whose to say in a ten it won’t be different. One is already full grown and the male is smaller. So far they are happy in the ten. The female tends to lay down completely still in the long polyp leather coral I have. I def won’t be setting up the 20 so that isn’t an option.  Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

I went from a 20g cube shape to a 10g cube shape.  I had a pair of clowns in the 20 and they moved to the 10 and did just fine.  They stayed in their open brain coral in the 20 and did the same in the 10.  Try it and see how it goes.  You can always remove them.  Most likely they'll be just fine like mine were.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:20 AM, gena said:

I went from a 20g cube shape to a 10g cube shape.  I had a pair of clowns in the 20 and they moved to the 10 and did just fine.  They stayed in their open brain coral in the 20 and did the same in the 10.  Try it and see how it goes.  You can always remove them.  Most likely they'll be just fine like mine were.

Thanks. They are already happily in the 10. Just asking about the feasibility/should I add a third and final fish. 

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't try to add anything else as even if they aren't really territorial now, they definitely will be as they mature and get bigger and older. If they start mating, there is zero chance for anything else. Even the chillest perculas are going to consider the entirety of a 12" cube within their territory. In an 18-24" tank, if you can get them to establish on one side or in one corner and are careful with your scape, you can have the opposite side of the tank outside of their line of sight be outside of their territory. In a 12" tank, that just isn't possible.

To give you an example on the more extreme side of things, my old clowns have their nem smack in the middle of a 30x24" tank and they will attack anything on sight (including me) anywhere in the tank within the horseshoe of my rockwork (so basically a 20x20" area based in the center of the tank). As they get older and bigger, their territory and aggressiveness just continues to ramp up and if there is an upper limit on this, mine haven't reached it yet after almost 12 years.

• Like 1

i have a pair of clowns in a 10 gallon IM tank and they are fine but they are the only fish in the tank. i think you will be alright mine love it and their anemone. 

Thanks that’s what I figured and just wanted to hear it from someone else.  I’ll stick with just the clowns for sure. 

Ok ok maybe just one tang, but that would be it!