inTank Media Baskets

6 Months since sps have been added- Pics

USFnano

It's been six months since I added my first sps, so I figured I'd post some initial and now pictures B) The ORA blue millepora and elkhorn montipora were added on 4/18, the ORA tort was added 5/19, and the not so purple 'purple' cerealis was added 6/18. Also a pic of my 4 month old baby Maxima.

274610_70_full.jpg

274610_104_full.jpg

274610_71_full.jpg

274610_106_full.jpg

274610_85_full.jpg

274610_105_full.jpg

274610_97_full.jpg

274610_107_full.jpg

274610_108_full.jpg

Dr. Saltwater

Beautifull ... I only have 1 tip; Next time you put in SPS-coral frags, try to place them horizontal. This way the corals don't have a weak beaking point (because they've grown a bigger foot) when they grow bigger and they will have more branches ;) -> that means more frags for you!

But I love the clam and the A. millepora!

looks good :) i wonder why the SPS haven't kept their colors even under your MH?

btw, what coral is that that's just to the left of your tort in your first pic of the tort?

It's probably fluctuating tank parameters, I've been a little lax on the water changes lately. Working on it though. I have had great growth in the last couple months.

That's just some red algae that popped up.

Temp's good, only gets up to ~84 with the halide on. I just have some cyano popping up *points at the last post* heh, and one of my snails that used to be covered in tiny featherdusters is now home to a valona farm :P I have to take him out and clean him off one of these days.

I do need to get a razor blade too... I have a ~1" ring of coralline around the front glass of the tank. The sides and back are mostly covered as well, but I don't mind those.

Undertheradar

The reason that his corals are extending polyps and turning brown is because there isnt enough light. Take my word for it...I keep many of those species (blue tort, blue & purple milli, caps of all colors). 70wattsMH is alot according to the watts/gallon 'myth'...but this is an example of where it doesnt apply. no matter how small the tank is....it's still only 70watts! Try putting a 150watter over it...and more blue light for the blue tort and milli. Your clam will outgrow the 70watter as well, as it's diet may be mostly phyto but at about 3" or so it will switch to being completely light dependent.

The only thing I can see making it really well or continuing to grow well would be caps and digis...they just dont need as much. Otherwise, if you want your corals to color back in and grow...you need more light.

I want to get the coralline scraped off the front glass before I take a full tank shot, maybe tomorrow ;)

I dose 3ml of each part of the B-Ionic every other day and it keeps my calc around 420 and alk around 12. I also add about 2 ml of DT's every other day for the clam.

I've been a little distracted with a new addition that I'm sure will see a lot of my money in the near future.

274610_109_full.jpg

i agree that the SPS look like they are in need of more light and some TLC. water quality is also a huge factor in determining color. it might be more important to some than light. how much water flow do you have??

i would upgrade you lighting and keep a close eye on the parameter, that way you can truly experience the beauty of the SPS when they have adequate colors.

I don't think flow's a problem, I have a mag 5 T'd off between the fuge and the tank, so probably ~350gph through the SCWD(2 1/2" returns) and maybe 30-50gph from the fuge.

My SPS are growing like weeds under my 70W'r. Color is great too......

I agree with Corey and UTR in that with a 150W there's more leeway, but a 70W SPS tank is totally doable if you watch your parameters. I drip kalk (Ca=430 and dKH=9.5) and watch my temp like a hawk!!! NO3 and PO4 are always zero. In this case, the 70W'r works.

Another issue (i dunno), is that a singularia in the tank as well? You could be having some issues do to that....

Nice frags though!

Nope, no singularia, only softies are those little polyps that popped up on the rock the cerealis is on and some xenia on it's own little rock, which is going to another tank at my parent's house this weekend.

yup you dont want leathers with sps.(chemical warfare) cool pics though. what do you have as far as inhabitants? i think a 70w mh is suffiecient to keep sps in that size of a tank you should be able to hold the colors in your sps as well. i agree with whoever said it need some tlc . nice supra!

Just a pistol shrimp that came in on the LR right now. I might get a fish eventually, but I just can't afford it right now(heh, that's also why the last thing I put in the tank was in July :P )

Archived