Top Shelf Aquatics

Sudden diatoms

Carnthetiges

Recently started experiencing heavy diatom growth on my sandbed and a spread of GHA in my 15g nano.

Tanks is 9 months old, had some diatom growth in the first month or two but otherwise hasn't been an issue.

It coincides with the addition on a third fish, so i'm assuming the bioload plus additional feeding are the cause (nothing else has changed).

Will this naturally resolve itself as bacteria pop increases to cover the increased bio load?

My concern is red sea no3 test kit is still showing barely detectable levels - is this because of the Diatoms and GHA consuming it?

Plan was to remove bioball (AIO filter is currently 50/50 bioballs/matrix).

Maybe add carbon and/or phosguard

Bump up CUC (currently 5 trochus)

If all else fails turn off the lights for three days

Thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers

5 hours ago, Carnthetiges said:

Recently started experiencing heavy diatom growth on my sandbed and a spread of GHA in my 15g nano.

Tanks is 9 months old, had some diatom growth in the first month or two but otherwise hasn't been an issue.

It coincides with the addition on a third fish, so i'm assuming the bioload plus additional feeding are the cause (nothing else has changed).

Will this naturally resolve itself as bacteria pop increases to cover the increased bio load?

My concern is red sea no3 test kit is still showing barely detectable levels - is this because of the Diatoms and GHA consuming it?

Plan was to remove bioball (AIO filter is currently 50/50 bioballs/matrix).

Maybe add carbon and/or phosguard

Bump up CUC (currently 5 trochus)

If all else fails turn off the lights for three days

Thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers

Have you tested phos?

Are you sure its diatoms? 

Adding phosguard isn't advised without frequent monitoring of phos levels.

Do you clean the sandbed during waterchanges?

What water are you using?

How much cuc do you have?

No, phos is a bit of blindspot, nano reefing on a budget so it's just the basic red sea kit.

Assuming diatoms as theyre that rusty colour, clump the substrate rather than get slimy.

Changes were fortnightly but I recently bumped up to weekly to try and get on top of things. Might rescape a little to reduce low flow areas.

Water is store bought, cuc is 5 trochus. Got.my eye on some nasarius though.

3 hours ago, Carnthetiges said:

No, phos is a bit of blindspot, nano reefing on a budget so it's just the basic red sea kit.

Assuming diatoms as theyre that rusty colour, clump the substrate rather than get slimy.

Changes were fortnightly but I recently bumped up to weekly to try and get on top of things. Might rescape a little to reduce low flow areas.

Water is store bought, cuc is 5 trochus. Got.my eye on some nasarius though.

Well unfortunately phos is an extremely important parameter for coral health/growth and when there is no phos, it can lead to dino's sometimes mistaken for diatoms or cyano.

There is no way to know if your phos is too high or bottomed out without testing.

Using certain media and even doing large waterchanges can strip phos quickly.