inTank Media Baskets

Best (inexpensive) filter for 5 gallon and under FOWLR

Alex Peacock

I'm looking to set up a pico tank, and am totally befuddled as to what filter might work best (and hopefully be somewhat easy on the budget but obviously this is less important).  Suggestions and tips?  Also, this may be an obvious one, I'm not sure, but if I were to get a simple filter with carbon filtration and replace that with some other substances (filter floss or what have you), could that work and would it be suggested?  And no, unfortunately at the moment I won't be able to set up anything larger than a 5 gallon. Thanks so much in advance!!!!

Welcome to NR. Like Clown79 suggested the small sometimes called mini or the 20 Aquaclear is a great choice or a small all in one tank would be nice.

A 5 gallon tank will be very limited for fish but there are some gobies that would be nice. Along with a few inverts and you will be entertained.

You technically don't need a filter at all for a saltwater tank, just a source of water flow. Some people only have powerheads. A filter can be useful as a place to put filter media like activated carbon, but it isn't needed to house beneficial bacteria like with freshwater aquaria. In saltwater, our live rock houses our bacteria. 

You should have a little bit of activated carbon in your filter, and nothing else unless it's needed. Filter floss and other filter media are to remove excess substances from your water, and can starve corals if used in excess. So it's best to not use them unless you know you have an excess of something that needs to be filtered out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies!  I got the aquaclear, it's working great.  What would be the best fish for a pico?  I'd love something with lot's of personality but obviously also want something that will do well in a small tank.  And I'd love invert suggestions as well!  

On 9/2/2021 at 10:44 AM, Tired said:

You technically don't need a filter at all for a saltwater tank, just a source of water flow. Some people only have powerheads. A filter can be useful as a place to put filter media like activated carbon, but it isn't needed to house beneficial bacteria like with freshwater aquaria. In saltwater, our live rock houses our bacteria. 

You should have a little bit of activated carbon in your filter, and nothing else unless it's needed. Filter floss and other filter media are to remove excess substances from your water, and can starve corals if used in excess. So it's best to not use them unless you know you have an excess of something that needs to be filtered out.

Thanks for the tip!  This still works well on a pico tank?  How often would i want to do water changes at that point?

• Like 1

Definitely works on a pico, it's what I'm doing.

You should do water changes as often as is needed to remove excess nutrients or replace used-up substances like calcium. How often that is varies for every tank, and there's no real way to predict it. Most aquariums will need a water change anywhere from every week to every couple months.