Coral Vue Hydros

Does this behavior have a name? (damsels)

WormLicker

Yeah it's me again. 

I've noticed my Damsels do this weird little tail wiggle thing. Normally they are just being jerks; knocking snails off the glass and hermits off the rocks. It doesn't necessarily seem.. agressive. I was able to actually catch it on camera when I added this emerald today.

I'd really like to go read about it, does it have a name/term? Googling didn't produce much since I have no idea what to call it. Thank you!

GIF-210831_182544.gif

GIF-210831_182339.gif

• Like 1

The sweeping of the tail or the charging behaviour? 

The sweeping motion is seen in damsels. believed to be because of territory. My damsel did it and so did my clowns. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The sweeping of the tail or the charging behaviour? 

The sweeping motion is seen in damsels. believed to be because of territory. My damsel did it and so did my clowns. 

The sweeping! Thank you! I've never seen my clown do it, so I am very interested

The fin slapping is aggression/territory/warning, great videos of it. Mollies and some freshwater fish do it from time to time as well, believe it or not, but they are more physical about it "tail slapping" and such. 
Damsels will also blow water and audibly click or "bark" at other animals while feinting bites, it helps that you've bought some of the more aggressive species.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

The fin slapping is aggression/territory/warning, great videos of it. Mollies and some freshwater fish do it from time to time as well, believe it or not, but they are more physical about it "tail slapping" and such. 
Damsels will also blow water and audibly click or "bark" at other animals while feinting bites, it helps that you've bought some of the more aggressive species.

Oh, good to know! It is a very very interesting behavior for sure. Kindof silly that they are being territorial to.. snails.. and crabs. They hang out with my clown and have made a trio, chasing around the poor hermits and now this emerald. 😂

I'm happy the fish aren't fighting.  

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, WormLicker said:

Here's another good one lol! Buttscoot fish..

GIF-210831_182141.gif

I've seen my damsel exhibit this whenever I add something new to her tank. I call it 'being-butt-slapped-in-face' because she tends to do this at any new fish or invert that I've added in the tank after her. :lol:

• Haha 1