Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pictichromis Porphyrea

InAtTheDeepEnd

InAtTheDeepEnd

As some of you may have seen I'm currently in the process of setting up a 5.5 us gal nano.

At first i wasn't sure of my final stocking plans between two Tryssogobius colini/Colin's fairygoby or a single Pictichromis Porphyrea/strawberry pygmy Basslet. But now I'm fairly sure the fish I want is the Basslet, but before I buy I want to double and triple check that they'll be ok in my set up. 

Would

salinity is 1.025

temperature 25°c

diet of frozen mysis shrine, frozen brine shrimp, krill pacifa etc 

be suitable? 

as I understand it the general mature tl for these fish is 7cm

the tank is a ciano 25 litre hexagon but I'm just concerned that a very active, curious fish may not have a very good quality of life in there due to its shape/dimensions. I've read basslets can be shy for the first few weeks but am concerned about once it gains confidence in its new surroundings. I have a lot of live rock too (3kg) which takes up a substantial proportion of the tank volume.

but I'm wary of the gobies because they don't seem common in the hobby and others in the same genus have a very short life span (just a few months) whereas a basslet's lifespan is 5 years + 

the only other livestock I want is a nassarius snail. 

thanks,

a gold medal overthinker who desperately worried about not giving her animals what they need 😬

PXL_20210825_161019991.MP.jpg

Screenshot_20210830-191112_copy_1080x810.png

A quick google search, I found the basslet going up to 10cm (4 inches) and requiring a minimum of a 30 gallon. Putting one in a 5.5 would be a real stretch.

filefishfinatic
2 minutes ago, PeterU said:

A quick google search, I found the basslet going up to 10cm (4 inches) and requiring a minimum of a 30 gallon. Putting one in a 5.5 would be a real stretch.

wild size? 

according to wikipedia, " It can be found from the Philippines to Samoa, extending north to the Ryukyu Islands and south to the Moluccas and Admiralty Islands. It occasionally makes its way into the aquarium trade. It grows to a size of 6 cm (2.4 in) in length."

InAtTheDeepEnd

Yeah, that's what's been worrying me - if it's 'questionable' in any way I'm not willing to do it tbh 

So, what are my options with a decent life span, not a finnicky eater and ok to go with soft corals, macro algae and snails, besides a nano goby? (Although those are super cute to be fair...🥺🥰)

Gobies are short lived, but best suited to your tank volume.

Going for a pair of sharknose would work fine and provide quite a bit of activity.

Don't take this as gospel because it can be a bit generous at times, but it's still a solid resource for stocking ideas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
InAtTheDeepEnd

Thank you so much for that link. Really useful (and duly bookmarked)!

I have always absolutely LOVED catalina gobies.... Not sure the lower temperature would be coral/snail suitable though.... Any thoughts on that? Tbh, their lifespan aside, I do love the small gobies. They're so cute and colourful, so I'd be happy with *any* of the ones on that list. 

At least i can now do research a bit more easily whilst waiting for the tank to finish cycling 😁

Coldwater tanks are challenging, bringing the temperature closer to low-end reefs at 74-75 could seriously impact its' longevity and QOL.
If you decide to go the route of a small chiller and attempt a coldwater system I believe you'd most likely need a different tank (thick acrylic seems to be preferred).
There are a few coldwater reef journals on NR which you may be able to pull ideas from, but they have more risk involved.

FWIW, I really like citron gobies and they can live 5+ years in captivity, word of caution they are sps nippers, if not outright grazers, so that will need to be taken into consideration. 

InAtTheDeepEnd

I just have soft corals right now 🙂

Thinking I'll stick with something that can cope with the temperature the tank is already running at though, just for ease.

citron and trimma gobies are really appealing. Are they ok solitary? Most of what I found on the fairygobies (which wasn't very much!) Suggested they naturally tend to occur in groups of 2-3. They top out at 3.5cm absolute max so I figured two would be just about ok in this tank about something that would be able to be kept alone would be better.

I think you'd likely be okay if you could get a pair, sourcing them would be difficult, most gobies are also okay as single specimens but I do not have experience with that particular fish.

InAtTheDeepEnd

I've found a several lfs with a really good selection of small gobies.

Most seem actually slightly braver in pairs. I'm definitely leaning towards the fairy gobies though. Not sure why, but I've been watching YouTube videos of scuba footage of various species and they are rather captivating.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

Probably a dumb question but could do coralgobies need to be in same species pairs, or alone? 

Can you do two of different species, or would just one in a tank this size be best?

Generally speaking, it would be best to stick to just one species since they occupy similar niche and in a small tank like this that could lead to aggression

• Thanks 1
InAtTheDeepEnd
48 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

Generally speaking, it would be best to stick to just one species since they occupy similar niche and in a small tank like this that could lead to aggression

Ah, that's a good point. Could I do a pair of the same species? A bit of research suggests they are social in the wild and not very active,  I'm just not sure a 5.5 gal would be big enough? 

Fwiw I'm thinking either Gobiodon okinawae or Gobiodon atrangulatus 

editing because not sure I've got the binomial names right.

Basically I'm thinking either 2x yellow coralgobies or 2x of the green/red ones. Lol 

My lfs stocks the yellow ones. They also have gobiodon rivulatus but I'm not sure if those might not be harder too feed/a bit drab. 

23 hours ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

Yeah, that's what's been worrying me - if it's 'questionable' in any way I'm not willing to do it tbh 

So, what are my options with a decent life span, not a finnicky eater and ok to go with soft corals, macro algae and snails, besides a nano goby? (Although those are super cute to be fair...🥺🥰)

Something i have only ever seen in pictures is the painted clown goby. It is like the yellow clown goby with some red markings.

18 hours ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

Do you mean painted face dwarf gobies? 

Yes if I could get hold of any I would jump at the chance to keep such a beautiful fish, but I don't know anywhere that stocks them ☹️ 

Eviota-pictifacies.jpg

This is what i had meant...

DSC_0156.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
18 hours ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

Omg, I've fallen down an internet rabbit hole of gorgeous gobies .....

'green Warpaint clown goby' 😍

green-clowngoby.jpg

I have one. Very cute, stays small, minimal bioload, bold colors under the right conditions and full of personality. Mine has been with me for ~3 years. 😊

• Like 1