Cultivated Reef

RO/DI water stink!

Jakesaw

I've got 2 x 5 gallon plastic containers for RO/DI water that I got at LFS.  Use em to mix S/W and RO/DI water.

Been using them since January and rotate til I always have a full one waiting when I finish off the other for re-fill with newly made RO/DI water.

Today I was cycling containers and noticed a sharp rancid water smell in the empty container. Like the one you'd get from a drinking water bottle you used and didn't clean for a week or longer.  

Was surprised since it's only had Zero TDS water ( maybe not 0 from the LFS initially ).  Does this just happen over time with all water storage bottles, or unique to me?  Container does get indirect sunlight for a week or so before rotating up.  

I ran some chlorinated tap water through it to kill any germs in the water, will let it dry out upside down and fill it with some fresh RO/DI once it's dry.

How common / uncommon is this in SW hobby

I've used mine for 8 months with no thought of cleaning them til today b/c 0 TDS water.  

I did cleanse my S/W bucket once or twice b/c of this issue though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

I've got 2 x 5 gallon plastic containers for RO/DI water that I got at LFS.  Use em to mix S/W and RO/DI water.

Been using them since January and rotate til I always have a full one waiting when I finish off the other for re-fill with newly made RO/DI water.

Today I was cycling containers and noticed a sharp rancid water smell in the empty container. Like the one you'd get from a drinking water bottle you used and didn't clean for a week or longer.  

Was surprised since it's only had Zero TDS water ( maybe not 0 from the LFS initially ).  Does this just happen over time with all water storage bottles, or unique to me?  Container does get indirect sunlight for a week or so before rotating up.  

I ran some chlorinated tap water through it to kill any germs in the water, will let it dry out upside down and fill it with some fresh RO/DI once it's dry.

How common / uncommon is this in SW hobby

I found that my buckets got a musty old water sent so i started cleaning them with vinegar and water, which stopped the problem.

• Like 1