Innovative Marine Aquariums

Random Ammonia Spikes on the Seneye

less than bread

less than bread

I’ve been getting random ammonia spikes on my Seneye Reef monitor. There’s no typical time it happens, completely random, and as soon as it spikes, it goes back to .001 immediately. The highest it’s gone is .09 but the spikes are usually between .05-.07 (ppm).

Just wondering if this is actually happening or if it’s most likely the monitor acting goofy.

Also on that topic, what sort of ammonia reading should I start being concerned about? Is only bad if it gets high and stays there or should I also be concerned if one of these short spikes happen and the peak is like .25 or something?

Fish peed? Haha just kidding… I don’t know sorry… I’m not familiar with that monitor. Hopefully someone will chime in with an actual answer. 😬🤗

B3650958-66FF-4818-A538-61DDFB7D46E1.thumb.jpeg.45a2773c492bb1e70f207d803390427e.jpeg

• Like 2

The concentration of ammonia in the ocean varies substantially, from less than 0.002 ppm to as much as 0.7 ppm total NH4-N, but is usually very low in surface seawater (<0.02 ppm total NH4-N).3 For example, the seawater intake at the Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology (on Coconut Island, Oahu, HI; 150 feet from shore and 20 feet down) was found to have an ammonia level that ranged over 0.0025 ± 0.0021 ppm total NH4-N.3 Remote ocean surface waters are reported to have 0.006 ± 0.004 ppm total NH4-N.3

Source:  http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php#:~:text=Ammonia and the Reef Aquarium A mmonia is,critically important in both freshwater and marine systems.

My suggestion is to take some sort of corrective action if the total ammonia rises above 0.1 ppm. This suggestion is also made by Stephen Spotte in his authoritative text, Captive Seawater Fishes.6 Values in excess of 0.25 ppm total ammonia may require immediate treatment, preferably involving removal of all delicate (ammonia sensitive) organisms from the water containing the ammonia.

People often say that ammonia should be zero; but they really mean undetectable by most hobby grade test kits.  Ammonia is present in the ocean (and our tanks), just at relatively low levels.  Read through the link above.

Seneyes must be trimmed and calibrated before use, yours isn't, those aren't the actual ammonia readings from the tank water you're seeing. Message seneye for trim and calibrating details, if they don't respond we have a thread for it. Once trimmed I guarantee seneye will read thousandths ppm nh3 in anyone's working display reef, no outliers. The slides have a short lifespan and have to be changed out. Yours may be expired slides, post cycle display tanks don't hit tenths or hundredths ppm ammonia unless a massive fish kill + left in tank to rot occurs. 

Howdy Seabass nice to see ya, I still link your rip clean pics with credit all the time 🙂

recently I stopped in just briefly for some cycle tunings after the five year exit lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

Howdy Seabass nice to see ya

Good to see you drop by.  Is your gallon pico jar still up and running?  I'd love to see you update your thread if it is.

I'm so lucky it's still going, I'll make an update video of it a few hours after lights on thanks tons for inquiring

nerf balls are still banned in my house even though my daughter is now 23 and lives in a different city, no nerf turned out to be the best lifespan insurance policy for pico reefs

that and ignoring nitrite heh

• Like 2
3 hours ago, brandon429 said:

Seneyes must be trimmed and calibrated before use, yours isn't, those aren't the actual ammonia readings from the tank water you're seeing. Message seneye for trim and calibrating details, if they don't respond we have a thread for it. Once trimmed I guarantee seneye will read thousandths ppm nh3 in anyone's working display reef, no outliers. The slides have a short lifespan and have to be changed out. Yours may be expired slides, post cycle display tanks don't hit tenths or hundredths ppm ammonia unless a massive fish kill + left in tank to rot occurs. 

Howdy Seabass nice to see ya, I still link your rip clean pics with credit all the time 🙂

recently I stopped in just briefly for some cycle tunings after the five year exit lol.

Ah that was seabass pics? I used one of your rip clean posts a few months ago, albeit minified to just the sandbed I could get to without moving rock. It worked a charm btw. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

This one from Seabass has convinced fifteen hundred people to rip clean for sure

This was the before pic (and what I removed):

012316a.jpg  012316b.jpg

• Like 1

I remember. I mean mine was a fraction of that but.. seabass wi remember that I had some amount of trouble with GHA and cyanobacteria. Loads of messing with cuc, vibrant and all sorts... GHA went with good cuc but could I get rid of cyanobacteria?? Hell no.. Rip cleaned the sandbed.. overnight success... 

To be fair, the planted tank part of me likes the GHA pictures seabass..🤣

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, brandon429 said:

When the site crashed just now for ten mins I secretly thought nr banned me for posting updated cycling science rants lol

Haha I thought I was banned for something I said in another thread too 😂🤣

#stirringthingsup

#fearthebanhammer

• Haha 1

Yes I was thinking hmpf ~well that was a quick twenty year badge lol kinda touchy nowadays?!?

I had already started to think up a temp name to log in, post fifteen times in a syntax I'd never use to escape detection on my VPN, so I could send a pm to seabass to inform of this unfortunate outcome and that we can only chat on a distant forum planet TBD one day.

None of this is exaggerated it was in motion

• Haha 2