Pod Your Reef

GHOST FEEDING

Yogi90

I recently bought a 40 gallon frag tank and decided to start the cycling process. So far I have approximately 20 lbs. of live sand and about another 20 lbs. of live rock. I learned from my first tank that I needed to get the ammonia levels up so I ghost fed the tank generously. After day 3 I noticed a film developing on the patches of food at the bottom. My ammonia levels are fairly high. Am I on the right path? Thanks ahead

M. Tournesol

If you started your tank with real live rock (ie. from the wild), you don't need to ghost fed.  Live rock will have some die-off because of the transport.

your tank should cycle by itself.

3 hours ago, Yogi90 said:

Am I on the right path?

yes.

6 hours ago, Yogi90 said:

I recently bought a 40 gallon frag tank and decided to start the cycling process. So far I have approximately 20 lbs. of live sand and about another 20 lbs. of live rock. I learned from my first tank that I needed to get the ammonia levels up so I ghost fed the tank generously. After day 3 I noticed a film developing on the patches of food at the bottom. My ammonia levels are fairly high. Am I on the right path? Thanks ahead

Was the rock wet from an established tank or dry? Cycling is different depending on the rock.

Also what exactly is your ammonia level at

• Like 1