inTank Media Baskets

Tiny little Purple Polyps?? What are they??

Seadragon

I found a cheaper price online for some Fireworks Clove Polyps.  The 2 frags arrived today, and one of those frags had Aiptasia on it and some other unknown things.  For the Aiptasia, I squirted lemon juice onto it and it retreated into its hole between the Clove Polyps and the frag.  I then tried to suction it out or any remnants of it using my turkey baster.  Well, that sucker came back half wounded and pissed off.  So, I ordered some Aiptasia-X that will be arriving on Saturday.  Hopefully that will take care of it.

As for the other mysterious stuff, I'm seeing some tiny purple polyps next to the Fireworks Clove Polyps.  What do you think these tiny purple polyps are circled in red?  I'm scared they're something bad, lol since this seller has all sorts of pests in his tank.

081821_id2.thumb.jpg.10721761d5523988e42e509030c2eead.jpg

081821_id1.thumb.jpg.84cdee9c2d2cbe0c192e2d118902872a.jpg

081821_id3.thumb.jpg.a5500c7819478787c6c97f676c5b88db.jpg

Thanks @A.m.P!  From what I read, it seems the Blue Cloves can also spawn and appear anywhere in the tank besides growing out of control.  I decided to remove the one frag and peel off the Fireworks Clove Polyps as carefully as I could and throw away the frag plug that hopefully contains all of the Blue Cloves & Aiptasia.  I feel if I allowed the Blue Cloves to invade the tank and all of the rockwork, the corals I like may not be able to grow out easily if the rock is already covered with Blue Cloves, and there will be a lot less algae to feed my snails, conchs, hermit crabs, and TSB.  Not to mention, a tank full of Blue Cloves probably will be a nutrient sink which doesn't help my other corals at all.

Anyways, there must be a reason why I see posts of hobbyists that hate Blue Cloves and want to remove them by all means necessary. 🙂

afterMath.jpg

Hopefully these Fireworks Clove Polyps are able to stay put and not fly away!

afterMath2.jpg

• Like 1

They're nice in very, very specific situations and systems. I recall Than from Tidal Gardens mentioning an old-growth SPS reef which used them as groundcover. Since the sticks weren't really encrusting anymore they made a great, flowing backdrop for the Acropora; but that's 1 out of 1000 tanks haha.

• Like 2

Oh hmmm… maybe they were blue snowflake cloves but kinda looked like knopia not opened up yet… good to be on the safe side and avoid blue snowflake cloves (sansibia) though unless you are intentionally adding it for the all over effect it can produce 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1