Cultivated Reef

API Testing Levels and Question

TimeOrMoney

Hey all. For the last 2 weeks, I have seen ammonia get to a max of about .5. Nitrite is skyrocketing at the moment, and to me it appears that Nitrate is slowly moving up. 

At this point, do you think I should expect a rise, or decrease in ammo? 20210818_153609.thumb.jpg.b9e42b96c5d824c18967c35d1f751895.jpg

Looks like you are using dry rock.  However, there's one rock in there which has some color.  Is that a piece of live rock or was it all dry rock to begin with?

The type of rock does matter.  If only using dry rock, you should build up the biofilter by dosing ammonium chloride.  However, when using all live rock, we just wait until ammonia becomes undetectable.

I usually don't mix the two when trying to establish the nitrogen cycle.  Instead I build up the biofilter on the dry rock first, then add the live rock and let the cycle complete.

1 hour ago, TimeOrMoney said:

At this point, do you think I should expect a rise, or decrease in ammo?

If you are at 2 weeks, I expect the ammonia level to continue to decrease.  However, when done, (if using all dry rock) the biological filter probably won't support a very large bio-load.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, seabass said:

Looks like you are using dry rock.  However, there's one rock in there which has some color.  Is that a piece of live rock or was it all dry rock to begin with?

The type of rock does matter.  If only using dry rock, you should build up the biofilter by dosing ammonium chloride.  However, when using all live rock, we just wait until ammonia becomes undetectable.

I usually don't mix the two when trying to establish the nitrogen cycle.  Instead I build up the biofilter on the dry rock first, then add the live rock and let the cycle complete.

If you are at 2 weeks, I expect the ammonia level to continue to decrease.  However, when done, (if using all dry rock) the biological filter probably won't support a very large bio-load.

Thx. I used two larger dry rocks that I cured with bleach and off gassed for days prior to their going into the aquarium. I used live sand. After 1 week, I also used a smaller peice of live rock as a seed of sorts (kind of an experiment really) and some dirty filter floss from an established tank.

So, basically what youre sayin is that this just looks like a normal cycle? 

6 minutes ago, TimeOrMoney said:

So, basically what youre sayin is that this just looks like a normal cycle? 

Yeah, it's normal.

You've seeded some bacteria, which is good.  However, you haven't built up a strong biofilter.

Here's how you build up a biofilter on dry rock:

• Dose ammonium chloride to 2ppm
  • Wait for ammonia to drop to 0.25ppm
  • Repeat the above until your rocks can process 2ppm down to 0.25ppm within 24 hours

During this process I'd move the live rock into another container of saltwater with a powerhead (so you don't kill off the beneficial non-bacterial life with ammonia).

Some people would just dose ammonium chloride with what you have (which would work too).

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, it's normal.

You've seeded some bacteria, which is good.  However, you haven't built up a strong biofilter.

Here's how you build up a biofilter on dry rock:

• Dose ammonium chloride to 2ppm
  • Wait for ammonia to drop to 0.25ppm
  • Repeat the above until your rocks can process 2ppm down to 0.25ppm within 24 hours

During this process I'd move the live rock into another container of saltwater with a powerhead (so you don't kill off the beneficial non-bacterial life with ammonia).

Some people would just dose ammonium chloride with what you have (which would work too).

Thx. If I choose not to dose ammo, what wohld you suggest. Time? I havent done the ammo dosing for a new tank before. I have read up on it, but Im not sure/don't trust that I will follow up enough or have time to do so. Idk. Maybe Im overthinking it

14 minutes ago, TimeOrMoney said:

If I choose not to dose ammo, what wohld you suggest. Time?

Without an ammonia source, the bacteria colonies won't get built up.  Some people will suggest ghost feeding (adding fish food without having livestock, which does work).  However, rotting food adds a bunch of organics which can be problematic.  Whereas dosing ammonium chloride is a clean (and controllable) source of ammonia.

i have always waited 2 months, every tank, and thats many tanks..... dont rush, you rush you wish you wouda waited for many reasons...   diatoms, dinos, bacterial blooms all to come...  let it happen b4 you introduce livestock or you'll be flushing $$ down the crapper... literally

1 hour ago, r20crazy said:

i have always waited 2 months, every tank, and thats many tanks..... dont rush, you rush you wish you wouda waited for many reasons...   diatoms, dinos, bacterial blooms all to come...  let it happen b4 you introduce livestock or you'll be flushing $$ down the crapper... literally

Hey I remember you as well! Different account.. Thx. Yeah Im in no hurry. 

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Without an ammonia source, the bacteria colonies won't get built up.  Some people will suggest ghost feeding (adding fish food without having livestock, which does work).  However, rotting food adds a bunch of organics which can be problematic.  Whereas dosing ammonium chloride is a clean (and controllable) source of ammonia.

Maybe I will try it. Is there a specific brand or product, or just go get Ammonium Chloride

I had included a link to it on the fishless cycling steps.  Here it is again: https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Ammonium-Chloride-Solution/dp/B006MP4QG6/

Note that ammonia is bad for the non-bacterial animal life (micro-inverts) on the live rock.  So if that rock contains more than just bacteria, then I'd put the rock in another container (with saltwater and a powerhead) to preserve the life while you build up the biofilter on the other rocks.  If the live rock doesn't contain much non-bacterial life, then just leave it in.

• Thanks 1