ReefCleaners.org

Noob salinity questions - why so much salt?

InAtTheDeepEnd

InAtTheDeepEnd

Trying to make twenty five litres of water of a specific gravity of 1.025/ salinity of 35% at 26°c

Thought I'd need about 870 grams of salt (25*35).

But 870g only got me to an sg of 1.020. 

I actually needed over a kilo (!!!) Of salt to even be scraping 1.025.  

Why?

I'm adding it to RODI water so it's completely pure and dissolving with added aeration and heat and stirring so it's not that not all of the salt has dissolved before being added to the tank. 

Either my calculations are off, my scales are off, my refractometer is off, or something else entirely is off (Me, probably - I feel stupid and useless 😒😂😂). 

Help? 😅

(Pics are what was left out of a 2kg bag of instant Ocean salt and the refractometer when I eventually got it to where I was aiming). 

PXL_20210817_144309371.MP.jpg

PXL_20210817_144409811.MP.jpg

M. Tournesol

Your salt does not contain only salt (sodium chloride). It has over elements in it that are needed to reproduce seawater (potassium, calcium, magnesium, ...).
Therefore, when you are measuring 870 grams, you are not measuring 870 grams of salt but 870 grams of a mix of elements containing salt.

M. Tournesol
Just now, PeterU said:

Have you calibrated your refractometer?

It problem is that he calculated the needed quantity of salt considering that it was pure sodium chloride. Thus, the refractometer reading is not erroneous.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

It's a precalibrated one

You should still be calibrating it with either RO/DI or 1.026sg water according to the instructions every week or so. I calibrated mine before every water change just to be safe. Does yours not have a little adjustment screw?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

It's a precalibrated one

All recractometers need calibrating, even pre calibrated ones

I always checked mine before every water change.

Never weighed or measured my salt. I added a bit at a time and checked salinity as i went until it hit 1.025. 

• Like 1