Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help Deciding on Tanks

MatthewN

Trying to decide between the following Aquariums. I'm new at this, so open to other options. I'm looking for less that 40 gallons, with a sump, with a protein skimmer. Primarily, I'm looking for something as simple as possible to maintain. I will need to slowly work my way up to a reef. Maybe start with a couple of clownfish.

These are the ones that seem like the best fit:

• Red Sea Reefer 170 - comes with the sump but no pump and no light
  • Red Sea Reefer Max E170 - comes with light and protein skimmer but no sump
  • Reef Octopus OCTO LUX T60 - comes with sump and protein skimmer but no light

Appreciate any help. Thank you.

Well, if you want to start with a fish-only system and then work your way up to a reef, you could buy a cheaper LED light to start, and then upgrade before you get into corals.

Hard to advise you without knowing your budget though.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MatthewN said:

Trying to decide between the following Aquariums. I'm new at this, so open to other options. I'm looking for less that 40 gallons, with a sump, with a protein skimmer. Primarily, I'm looking for something as simple as possible to maintain. I will need to slowly work my way up to a reef. Maybe start with a couple of clownfish.

These are the ones that seem like the best fit:

• Red Sea Reefer 170 - comes with the sump but no pump and no light
  • Red Sea Reefer Max E170 - comes with light and protein skimmer but no sump
  • Reef Octopus OCTO LUX T60 - comes with sump and protein skimmer but no light

Appreciate any help. Thank you.

The fact that you listed these aquariums, I'm going to assume that you have a very healthy budget.  The amazing thing is, what you're asking for is basically what I'm going to buy in a year or two from now once I'm ready to upgrade my nano reef to the next level.  I call it my "End Game Tank", the last tank that I want to buy in my lifetime.  I'm definitely going to go with the Red Sea Reefer myself.  I trust the brand and I prefer quality in most things I buy so that I'm not disappointed.

Out of your options, I'd get the REEFER 170.  But, for myself, I want the REEFER XL 200 for $100 more.  I want that little bit of extra space and convenience so that in a decade or two from now, I have slightly more options if I want to add more corals or what-have-you.  I will probably use the "Build with MyREEFER" feature from the redseafish.com site, and add the ReefLED 90, RL90 Mounting Arm, REEFER Skimmer 300, and a ReefWave 25 to the order.

If you do get a Red Sea Reefer, let me know which one you get and create a journal so that I can follow along.  I'll be joining you in the future, but you can scout the way ahead of time. 🙂

Thanks for your feedback Seadragon! The REEFER XL 200 looks like a better choice. I'll try out the Build My Reefer feature and see what I come up with. Usually, by the end of selecting options, like the ones on car websites, I end up all the options and with some ridiculous price. I'll set up a journal once I decide. Thanks again!

• Like 2