Pod Your Reef

Equipment

Rashawny33

RoyalGramma001

You need a good light, filter, a protein skimmer but not necessary I don't use one, a heater, thermometer, and a wave maker, I would also recommend a kid.

7 hours ago, Rashawny33 said:

Was wondering what I needed to start a 45gal saltwater tank. 

Lots of cash.

An exhaustive list can be difficult.  And what you "need" depends a little on what you plan to keep in it.  For example, your livestock could determine how much water flow your tank needs, how powerful a light you should have, potentially how much sand you should have, which test kits you might need, etc, etc.

Stripped out to the basics, you need:

• Tank and stand
  • Saltwater
  • Pure freshwater (like distilled water or RO/DI filtered water) to make up for evaporation
  • Heater (and thermometer)
  • Some way to generate water flow (filters, pumps, powerheads, etc)
  • Light (with some sort of timer)
  • Biological filter (usually live rock)

Other items might include:

• Tank top or screen
  • Bacteria and ammonium chloride to establish a biofilter on dry rock (if not using live rock)
  • Sand (unless you choose a bare tank floor)
  • Salt mix to make your own saltwater (unless you purchase seawater or pre-mixed saltwater)
  • Hydrometer or refractometer
  • Buckets for mixing saltwater and/or doing tank maintenance
  • Test kits: ammonia, nitrate, and phosphate (brand can be important, especially phosphate).  I generally recommend Salifert brand kits; however, Hanna makes a ULR Phosphate Checker that might be considered better.
  • Siphon for tank maintenance
  • Algae scrapper and/or pad
  • Possibly your own RO/DI unit to make your own water
  • Often, some sort of mechanical filtration (called filter floss) and potentially a chemical filter (for activated carbon).  This could be part of an all in one tank, a hang on back power filter, canister filter, etc.
  • As RoyalGramma001 pointed out, an optional protein skimmer is sometimes used
  • Food
  • Alkalinity test kit for use with stony corals (I recommend Salifert)
  • Calcium and magnesium test kits once you've determined that you need to replenish elements consumed by stony corals and coralline algae (again, I recommend Salifert test kits for these)
  • Potentially alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium additives to replenish consumed elements
  • Livestock (including a cleanup crew of snails)
  • Power strip
  • Etc, etc.

Probably the most important thing you need is research.  There's a lot to starting a reef tank.  Read and read some more.

Oh, and :welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

• Like 6
RoyalGramma001
16 hours ago, Rashawny33 said:

Was wondering what I needed to start a 45gal saltwater tank. 

Was just wondering what you're planning to stock it with.

I'm super new, but the surprise startup cost for me was the testing stuff. Strips just aren't good enough, so you have to invest in good quality color tests at minimum. Otherwise you have no clue what's going on in there 🤷

RoyalGramma001
7 hours ago, WormLicker said:

I'm super new, but the surprise startup cost for me was the testing stuff. Strips just aren't good enough, so you have to invest in good quality color tests at minimum. Otherwise you have no clue what's going on in there 🤷

Idk about others but my lfs will test your water for free. So I would ask your local fish store if they test water?

• Like 1

Since test kits seem to be the current topic of conversation, someone just starting out only needs ammonia, nitrate, and phosphate test kits (just over $50).

If keeping a significant amount stony corals (LPS and SPS), or your tank develops a notable amount of coralline algae, you'll need to add an alkalinity kit (~$17).

Once alkalinity cannot be maintained through partial water changes, you'll need to start dosing and testing for calcium and magnesium (less than $40).

We don't need them all up front, and it can take a good amount of time before we need calcium and magnesium (which is almost half the cost).  Prices based on Salifert kits purchased from Bulk Reef Supply.

You can take advantage of free testing if you want.  It's a proven way to get you come in on a regular basis (and buy more).  However, it's not terribly convenient, especially if testing for ammonia in the case of an emergency.  Plus, if your store isn't close by, the cost of gas adds to your price per test.

• Like 4
RoyalGramma001
7 hours ago, seabass said:

Since test kits seem to be the current topic of conversation, someone just starting out only needs ammonia, nitrate, and phosphate test kits (just over $50).

If keeping a significant amount stony corals (LPS and SPS), or your tank develops a notable amount of coralline algae, you'll need to add an alkalinity kit (~$17).

Once alkalinity cannot be maintained through partial water changes, you'll need to start dosing and testing for calcium and magnesium (less than $40).

We don't need them all up front, and it can take a good amount of time before we need calcium and magnesium (which is almost half the cost).  Prices based on Salifert kits purchased from Bulk Reef Supply.

You can take advantage of free testing if you want.  It's a proven way to get you come in on a regular basis (and buy more).  However, it's not terribly convenient, especially if testing for ammonia in the case of an emergency.  Plus, if your store isn't close by, the cost of gas adds to your price per test.

I do agree with that stores can be pretty far away I have one that is very close to me.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, seabass said:

This needs to be in a sticky or other notable way to call attention to this for the new people!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1