Innovative Marine Aquariums

A question for those knowledgeable in carpentry

Dan_G25

SO, here's the deal. I want to have my tank on the oak table in my living room. But my mother thinks that having the tank filled with 79-80 degree water will warp the wood? So, I need your answer to that question cuz I don't really want the table to get ruined either. thx for your response

How big is the tank? That affects how much humidity it will put into the room.

Also, the main worry should be spills down the side of the aquarium, not humidity.

I have no idea how sturdy this table is, but more likely than anything, the weight of the water will warp the wood. But I'm not saying that's likely. Maybe the table is super sturdy.

Also, is the table stained/varnished/sealed? That will reduce humidity damage, if any.

Here's a tip: water weighs 8.5 lbs per gallon. Add that togetehr with how many lbs of rock and sand you're going to put in ... will your table hold that much weight? :)

I think it should be fine. But if you want to be extra cautious you get a piece of glass cut to the specific size of your table and set it on top of that...? i dunno, im not carpenter.

It's a 15g (24x12x12 inches) It's pretty sturdy it can hold my weight and I weigh 180lbs. I'm pretty sure it's varnished. And it's only going to be there for about 3-4 years so not like super long term.

I've never recommended anyone put a tank over 10 gallons on anything that wasn't designed for a fish tank or something you know can support tons of weight and is level. Depending on the design of your table it should be fine. I don't think the wood would warp because of the tank sitting on top of it, the water will be inside the glass not sitting on the table. If the table is solid oak with 4 solid legs I'd say you should be fine. If it's a pedestal table with a single leg in the middle that branches out, then I wouldn't put it on there. They seem to be a little less sturdy. How are you going to run your power cords and such without it looking like a mess off the table?

Solid oak, 4 legs. yay. =). Don't worry with the background I put on you cant see any cords, the table is in a corner with a couch kind of blocking alot of your view under the table its hard to explain but you can't really see any cords or nothin.

Archived