inTank Media Baskets

Carbon making a fizzy noise after rinsing it

Tay Kendall

Tay Kendall

Not sure if I chose the right topic. But I am hoping someone knows what the heck I'm talking about. I have red sea reef-spec carbon. I needed to add some carbon to my tank so I opened a The Bag by seachem and put some of the red sea carbon in it, then rinsed it like instructed and then all I hear is fizzy noise, like a carbonated soda. (it's possible it's just the seachem The Bag making the noise, but not sure.) Is that normal??? Never heard carbon do that. Idk maybe I'm a noob. 

That's normal.  GAC is very porous (it helps it filter effectively), so the sound you're hearing is the tiny pores filling with water and expelling the air in there to start.  Should stop after it's good and saturated (a minute or two)

• Like 3
Tay Kendall
6 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

That's normal.  GAC is very porous (it helps it filter effectively), so the sound you're hearing is the tiny pores filling with water and expelling the air in there to start.  Should stop after it's good and saturated (a minute or two)

You're the best! Thanks for easing my mind. I've been dealing with some unknown issues in my tank the past month and a half. Ive worked at a salt water only store for over 4 years and have had an amazing 16gal tank with no issues before. But this 20 gal is going through something I've never experienced. Not even my bosses who have been in the hobby for 13+ years can figure out what is wrong with my tank. Sorry to unload on you. Haha you don't have to reply to this. 😛

• Like 1
Tay Kendall
On 7/31/2021 at 4:12 AM, Murphych said:

What issues are you having?

Well, i woke up to my tank being super coudy one morning I couldn't see through it. My tank is new so I've only added bioballs (not the plastic ones) and coral food here and there for my corals. But anyways i Did a water change and it was still forggy. After awhile I started to see a white slime so I looked it up and I kept seeing people say it was a bacteria bloom. Well it never went away. My water is clearer now, but I still have a white slime. And also my fish and coral start dying. My tank is in a bedroom just fyi and I had a scentsy melting candle in there I'd use every night. Did some reaserch and figured that was the problem. So the scentsy candle warmer has not been used since. I sent an ICP test to Denver to see what they have to say so ik just waiting on that now. 

• Like 1